Dard

Sameer had been tossing in bed for one hour now. He had even switched off the night lamp... thinking that complete darkness might bring on sleep at last. Nothing helped.

He sat up finally... it was no use.

He had studied for two hours after dinner. Around eleven thirty, he had decided to go back to bed. And now it was past midnight. He got up and flicked the light on.

"So nahi paa raha toh padh hi leta hun... ab bas ussi se neend aayegi." Muttering to himself, he left the bed.

He could have happily gone to Naina's room. But she had made him promise that he won't attempt any such thing tonight.

"Nahi Sameer, saath wale room ki Shalu bata rahi thi ki raat mein der tak padhte hain woh log... fir kabhi kabhi sab saath baithkar chai bhi peete hain... woh keh rahi thi aaj mujhe bhi bula lenge... aise mein koi mere kamre mein aaya aur tum wahan hue toh toofan aa jayega... humne teen saal nikal diye hain par apne upar koi ungli nahi uthne di... main nahi chahti aakhiri bees din mein bhi aisa kuch ho." She had explained.

"Naina, kuch nahi hoga... agar koi aayega toh pehle knock karega na... tab main wapas chala jaunga... tumpe koi ungli nahi utha payega." He argued.

"Main hum dono ki baat kar rahi hun... tumhe kya lagta hai mujhe tumhari fikr nahi hai... Sameer, tumhare hostel mein bhi toh bohot ladke jaag rahe honge... agar kisi ne dekh liya ya puch liya toh... tumpe koi aanch aaye yeh toh mujhse kabhi bardaasht nahi hoga." She was  determined.

His each plea was quashed with her logical reasoning. He had to promise in the end. Had it not been a promise, he would have been with her now. Naina was aware... she did not let him move till he said in clear words that he promised not to go to her room tonight.

The sleep during the day had taken care of the night before. In fact, he had slept for two hours in the morning as well. And the habit of having her next to him for last one week had ruined any chance of catching a wink.

With a sigh, he pulled the chair and opened his notebook. They had agreed to sit together and study in the library from morning ten till lunch time everyday, starting tomorrow. He began to reread the chapters they would be revising the next day.

Mornings breeze drifting into the room made it a little cooler. Naina stirred, shifting more to one side. The warmth she was searching for seemed to be missing. She shifted some more, waving her hand in air, her sleep heavy mind wondering why Sameer had moved so far on the bed.

THUD...

The eyes flew open.

She had fallen off the bed. Sitting up quickly, she looked  at the room, in a daze.

And slapped her forehead.

It wasn't the big, spacious bed of Sonali's house... it was narrow, single bed in her hostel... there was no one in the room besides her.

She touched the side of her waist that had hit the floor when she fell. It hurt. She rubbed over it. Even the side of arm was hurting.

Getting up from the floor, she frowned, "Aaj toh sach mein ho gaya... falling in love... jisne yeh lafz banaye hain uske saath bhi yehi hua hoga."

The sleep deprivation of one night before had caused her to hit the bed immediately after dinner. She had not lied down the whole day, fearing that she might not be able to get up on time to meet Sameer in the evening. When her back finally found the bed, she had slept instantly... till now, when the room turned cooler. The fall had finally woken her up.

She stretched her arms in front, interlinking the fingers.

After so many beautiful mornings, this one was again the same lonely one.

Kabhi toh Nazar Milao Part 2जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें