Presence

The moment Sameer entered the building, a loud applause greeted him. He was taken aback.

Entire staff of the main office had gathered in the reception area, standing in a semicircle, to welcome him.

Munshiji stepped forward with a bouquet of fresh lilies, along with two men whom Sameer recognized as the managers of different sections.

"Aapke office mein aapka bohot bohot swaagat hai, sir." He held out the flowers, smiling warmly at Sameer.

He opened his mouth, to remind him that he was to be addressed by name, when Munshiji blinked his eyes hard at him, gesturing him to be quiet. Sameer was sure that he was doing it for a reason.

A peon quickly came forward to take the bouquet from him. The managers shook hands with him, expressing their delight to work with him on regular basis. He was introduced to other senior employees. Everyone seemed to be excited to work with a new, young person.

Once the introductions were done, one of the managers came ahead with the file that carried the papers he needed to get signed. Sameer asked him what the papers were about. He explained in brief. Sameer nodded, opened the file, and signed wherever he pointed. He left for Gandhinagar immediately.

Munshiji asked everyone to carry on with their work, asking Sameer to accompany him. They crossed a few cabins, and some cubicles to reach a larger one. It was nanu's office, Sameer recalled. But the solid brass plaque on the door was new, with his name in bold letters

Sameer Jai Prakash Maheshwari

He looked at the black letters on gold base, touching them gingerly with his fingertips, wondering if he would be worthy of carrying his nanu's name.

"Aapke nanaji ne khud banwaya tha isse... unhe poora bharosa tha aap yeh sab bohot achhi tarah sambhal lenge, unse bhi behtar... apni nayi soch ke saath." Munshiji could understand his turmoil.

Sameer was amazed at nanu's foresight. He had already started preparing for Sameer's entry into the world that had no meaning for him at that time. Whenever nanu asked him to pay some attention to the matters of business, he had pushed aside the files, lying down in nanu's lap, saying that he would learn everything when the time comes... and nanu would make him an expert like himself. He was not aware of the shock life had in store for him. With damp eyes, he wished he had listened to the old man, learning something from his experience.

"Andar chalein, sir?" Munshiji opened the door, waving at him to enter first.

With a deep breath, Sameer entered the large cabin.

And he felt nanu's presence everywhere. The luxurious leather chair, covered with a thick Turkish towel was the one he had seen him relax in, each time he visited this place. A heavy desk, in light wood, was as clean as it always remained. He recalled how he teased nanu that he had no work because there were no files ever on his desk.

"Agar tumhare saamne files ka dher hai, barkhurdaar, toh tumhe zyada kaam karne ki zaroorat hai... ek achha worker wohi hota hai jo har file ko aate hi nibta de." The old man had told him.

"Nanu, aap worker thodi ho, aap toh maalik ho." Sameer had relaxed on the sofa kept for visitors, sipping a soft drink.

"Main yahan ka sabse purana worker hun... khud ko maalik samajh ke agar aaram se baith jaoge toh aage badhne ke saare raaste band ho jayenge... Sameer, yaad rakhna, yahan hamesha ek worker ki haisiyat se aana... tabhi tum yahan kaam karne wale baaki logon ko samajh sakte ho... woh tumhare liye kaam kar sakte hain toh tum apne liye kaam kyon nahi kar sakte?" Nanu had given him the wisdom he had gained from years of experience.

Kabhi toh Nazar Milao Part 2जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें