Chapter One

As she heard the first crashes of electric guitar and felt a breeze as the lights went up, Taylor’s heart thumped through her dress. With an audience made up of the rich and famous, she couldn’t fail to disappoint – they’d paid for a good show and that’s just what they were going to get. The cue was upon her, and Taylor opened up with the first line of I Knew You Were Trouble, hard and strong, as the stage lights reflected off of the glistening catwalk. Any second now, the Victoria’s Secret Class of 2013 would be unleashed and the long-legged felines of the renowned lingerie brand would join Taylor as she gave the performance of a lifetime. At least – that’s how Taylor had planned it out in her head. But, it’s never that easy.

        The first model swaggered onto the catwalk, a flurry of white clouded wings behind her as she strutted towards the audience, and Taylor watched on. She found the idea of another human being sharing the same amount of angst as her, at the same time, in the same situation, to be somewhat comforting. As Behati turned to smile at the blonde-haired performer, Taylor couldn’t help but feel the overwhelming presence of someone else. Nevertheless, she smiled in response, hoping that it would be as much of a comfort as Behati’s smile was to her – despite the fact that Taylor was unbelievably distracted by this haunting feeling. She just couldn’t quite put her finger on it. It felt familiar, but nothing like anything she remembered feeling before. It felt neither good nor bad, just painfully curious. She had to turn around, see what was behind her, but the risk of messing up the staging was too great. She waited impatiently for the ghost to approach from behind, careful not to mess up her lines or sing too quickly as she felt each footstep fall closer to her.

       That’s when a jolt electrified her veins. It felt like a static shock, only stronger. More magnetic. More emotional.

Ms Kloss’s hand left Taylor’s waistline after tapping her gently on the hip, and she strode ahead before twisting her neck to meet Taylor’s eye line. The blue-eyed singer instinctively reached out to the girl in the shimmering cat suit, and Karlie reached back, a wide grin plastered across her face. They could’ve almost touched, but not yet. Karlie turned back to survey the audience, cheering from their seats. She pulled a quick pose and shot one final glance into the darkness, before turning to walk back down the catwalk. Meanwhile, Taylor was recovering from her last encounter with Karlie. She should really have been preparing for her next.

        Karlie eyed Taylor from a few metres away and approached her as quickly as the music would allow. Those green eyes pierced Taylor like a needle, and she found herself following Karlie’s hip movements in time to the music. As Karlie smirked, Taylor offered a panicked grin in response and struggled to focus on the camera as this ghostly woman strode towards the back of the stage and into the side wings.

        She was still unsure of what exactly it was that Karlie did, but Taylor knew that it was possibly one of the most compelling, addictive and haunting experiences she had ever lived through; and she wanted more.