69. Meanwhile

-Jack-

-Jack-

I heard it. In the darkness that had surrounded me for so long, in that sea of pain where I was drowning... Slowly sinking towards the bottom without ever reaching it. None of my senses worked, but I still heard it. A howl.

And I gasped for air so hard it hurt, surprised that it actually worked. My eyes shot open, and I stared at the wooden ceiling, not understanding anything. For a moment, my eyes were the only thing that worked, while my hearing was slowly coming back to me.

'Henry?'

Silence.

'What are you trying this time?'

Silence...

I lifted my hand up, shaking all over. My own hand seemed like the heaviest thing on earth. I moved my fingers, but I had to let my arm fall back down because I was too weak to hold it up.

He was up to something... Henry... What kind of torturous plan he had now? I didn't dare to look around. I was too scared to do so. I still couldn't smell anything, but I feared that if I looked... I would see Arch... skinned alive...

My ears started working – kind of. It was like I was still underwater, and all the sounds were muffled, but I could still hear... yelling... screaming... loud bangs and explosions...

What was going on...?

I finally found my courage to turn my head, but Arch wasn't there. What I saw made no sense, but there was no blood anywhere... only people. Old people. Young people. Babies and pregnant women. All crammed into what looked like a big hall.

My curiosity won, and somehow I managed to push myself upwards a little to see over the wall of people. There was a big chair on the other side of the hall we were in, so I assumed it was the pack hall. I was tucked away in a corner with an older woman sitting right next to me, her back turned on me.

Wasn't this... Hall of Leaders? Or whatever this pack called it. I saw a big emblem on the wall, just above the big chair. Blue Moon emblem.

What the fuck was going on? Why was I here? Where was Henry?

Another howl shook my very core. The rest of the senses rushed back to me, and for a quick second, my skin felt like it was on fire. I gasped loudly in pain, but even the woman sitting next to me couldn't hear it over the sounds of battle. I sat up, feeling a hell of a lot stronger for some reason, and looked down at my arms. I was covered in bandages, and when I ripped them off, I could see faint lines of weird symbols carved on my skin just before they vanished. I couldn't even take a better look at them before they were fully healed.

That made no sense.

But I didn't even care. Nothing made sense at that moment.

"Henry...?" I croaked and started coughing, but the damn shadow didn't reply.