22: Trauma and Nightmares

Chapter 22: "Keep it to Yourself"

I never knew that darkness would be like a cute kitty. Sleeping in the dark makes everything relaxing, calm and peaceful because of its silence unlike the scorching beam of the UV rays.

But then similar to a cat, in the dark you're just like a scared mouse. Hiding from the claws, sharp fangs, and deadly bite of the wild beast. Hoping for survival from the wrath of a predator with no one to help the poor prey.

You choose to hide in a small hole of the wall, but with no more routes to take, you come to the feeling of becoming hesitant as you realize you'd starve to death if you do not come out of your hiding place. With only two choices given, heart full of fear and uncertainty, you still chose the danger and the impossibility to be alive.

Because after all of the struggle you've faced, the will to fight for your freedom would be the only thing that matters. You died trying. You died fighting. Besides, that's how our lives should be instead of staying in one place and did nothing but choose to blame anything or anyone for our misery and our current situation.

But in my case, I chose the latter. I chose to stay hidden. I chose to hide in that tiny hole, hoping, and praying, for the predator to not see me. To my dismay, the wild beast's cold and menacing red eyes found my fearful orbs.

I had no choice but to get out and run- not fight- for my life. I can hear its big, heavy, and deafening footsteps nearing towards me. I didn't want to look back, but my instincts told me to. I was almost clawed by the beast.

Suddenly, I tripped and fell on a ground. Slowly, colors started to loom around me. Grasses that should be green were painted in blood red. I quickly got up and screamed real loud when I saw multiple bodies lying on the ground rotting, but staring directly at me. They seemed to be dead- lifeless and cold- but the way their eyes glistened at the sight of me, I feel like I am not hallucinating when they gave me a sinister smile.

I want to run as far away as possible from them because I can feel them closing to me though they're dead. I can almost feel that I am within their reach. If this is a dream, I want to be out of it. But at that moment, I screamed as loud as I can thinking that it will make them go away and disappear.

I was halted by a dark and cold hands gripping on my forearms as its lips found their way to my ear and whispered to me in the most sinister and in the worst possible way.

"Sleep tight."

"Cait!"

My eyes shot up from that dreadful nightmare. Pansin ko ang pagtaas-baba ng aking dibdib. I felt like I ran from a grizzly bear causing me to have a heavy breathing. I saw Fawn and Talulah looking at me with much worry in their eyes.

I licked my lower lip and gulped before taking a deep breath, trying to control myself and make me calm. Thankfully it worked. Tipid akong ngumiti sa kanila bago ako bumangon at tumayo para kunin ang bathrobe. Sinuot ko iyon at nagpasyang lumabas ng dorm room.

Bago pa man ako makalabas ay narinig ko ang tawag sa akin ni Talulah.

"What's happening to you?", her voice is laced with so much concern stabbing my heart. "Simula noong iuwi ka nina Heath dito ay lagi ka ng ganyan. Ano ba talaga ang nangyare?"

Suminghot si Fawn. Kahit nakatalikod ay alam kong naluluha na siya dahil sa akin. "May hindi ka ba sa amin sinasabi? Are you really okay?"

Tumikhim ako. "I'm f-fine. Magpapahangin lang ako."

Hindi ko na hinintay pang makapagsalita sila. Mabilis akong umalis at bumaba sa ground floor. Madilim pa rin sa labas, hindi ko alam kung anong oras na pero sa pagkakatanda ko ay alas syete ng gabi tulog na ako. I always wake up at around 12 to 1 in the morning. The time is probably around that.