The Beginning of the End

|A Few Hours Later| (Get Ready Cause Here We Go)
Dean's POV

"So what'd ya think of the movie?" I ask, downing the last of my soda as we near the exit. Cas looks at me with his big, round eyes. I could tell that he didn't enjoy horror movies after the first jump scare. His hands, which are remarkably smaller than mine, quickly grasped my bicep when the first of the serial killer jumps happened. The rest of the movie, he didn't release me.

As we leave the theater, he seems to be lost in thought, staring at a poster along the wall. I finally put it together when I realize that the picture across the poster is a crash. Not wanting to make him have a sort of attack, I don't touch him, but I manage to throw him from this thoughts when I step in front of his line of sight. His eyes quickly refocus on me instead of the picture.

"Hm? What did you say?"

"I was asking what you thought of the movie." He looks away, but takes my hand as he starts walking to the car. I had almost forgotten about the challenge.

"Eh. Could've been better," he says. The sunlight hurts my eyes when we step out of the theater. It takes a few blinks before they adjust and can take in the surrounding area. Baby is exactly where we left here, but the theater is slightly more full now with it being after work hours. Everyone is most likely rushing home to their families. The prime time for accidents.

"Yeah. It was kinda cliche. I mean, if I were in an unnatural situation, I feel like I would not be stupid enough to hide in the creepy-ass house," I joke, trying my best to ease the tense man standing next to me. It seems to work a bit.

"Well, you're also the one who tried to put coffee beans under the hot sink faucet and try to make coffee. You're not exactly the best bean in the juice darling," Castiel grins reaching for the keys in the pocket my pants, which is dangerously close to an area that is not suitable for children. His dainty fingers find them and manage to pull them out and unlock the car.

"All evidence points to that it was, in fact, a smart hypothesis. I can't help that science doesn't cater to my dreams."

Cas rolls his eyes pulls the car door open. "I love it when you try to be smart and it backfires."

"I don't need to be smart when I have a doctor to take care of me."

"Yeah right."

I grin. "Cas, you can do anything. I know you can."

"I can't do everything Dean."

"Oh, I bet so."

"Alright then. Let's try something new," Cas raises an eyebrow, a new tone to his voice. I nearly get hit in the face when he tosses me the keys. "You drive."

My heart nearly stops. 'I drive? Oh god, this is not a good idea. I can feel it.' But when I look at his face, there is no doubt. Not even a flutter of an eyebrow to make me say no. "Are you sure? You can drive if-"

The slam of a car door stops me from finishing the sentence. I've never driven with him. I don't want anything to happen. What if this is what makes me lose him?

He reopens the car door. "Let's go. I wanna get home before rush hour traffic gets too bad."

I draw in a deep breath. 'Why am I more worried than him? I'll be fine and he doesn't seem to care.'

Walking around the front of the car to get in the driver's seat, I search for any sign from Cas that he doesn't want this. He stares back at me with no remorse. I don't know why he's being so domineering, but I'm not sure how much I like it. It's not the Cas I've come to love.

~~~

Pulling out of the lot, I continue to watch him from the corner of my eye. He looks out the front window and doesn't remove his blue-eyed gaze from the car ahead of us, but he's not tense. He sits as though he's in the middle of a meadow of flowers. His hands are folded in his lap, the buckle of the car over his hips.

I manage to find my voice, "You know. I can pull over and you can still drive."

"No, Dean. You are going to drive us home," he says, still not losing eye contact with the bumper of the other car. His eyes fixated on a bumper sticker that read, 'You Got This.' How ironic. I watch him. Turn to the road. Look again.

I catch it. His hands unfold and refold. I scour him for more signs. I know that he's not okay.

"Cas, it is fine. I'll just park over in that lot and we can trade. I don't mind." His index finger twitches. He's hiding it from me. "I'm pulling over."

"Dean. I said I was fine. Just keep driving," he starts to break. The confidence in his voice has begun to crumble and I can see his hands start to shake. "Keep driving. Just keep driving. I'll be fine. Just drive."

His eyes don't leave the bumper.

"Cas, I am pulling over," I say as I turn on the signal. I turn the wheel, but he jerks beside me. He throws himself at the wheel grasping his fingers over the wheel, tugging it towards himself. There is a horn blaring. I try to readjust the wheel and his hand slips sooner than I thought.

"Stop! No-"

I hear the screech before I feel it. I know what's coming. I know what's going to happen. There is only one thing I can think about.

In the last seconds of consciousness, my eyes meet his.

Castiel.