Chapter 1

It's friday night. We're having a dinner when my Mom announced that we're all going to this big family Thanksgiving reunion at Grandma and Grandpa Coval's Hotel in Manila. She's been planning it with my Grandparents two months ahead of time for she wants everything to be perfect. She doesn't care anymore about the money that we're going to spend because the Martinez family will be there and also the media.

The Martinez and Sinclair family has maintained a successful partnership for a long year. I heard about it from my Dad when he's talking to me about the history of our family and how the business works. I was too young back then. Until now, I still couldn't understand the significance of it.

"Mom, I don't want to go," I said after drinking a water.

She gave me an intimidating look that didn't last for long because she continue to eat her food on the plate. I set my eyes on her until she finish her food, hoping that I could get a response from her.

"You're going with us. We all have to be together in this important event of our family. Think about how your Grandparents would react and feel."

I breath deeply and just nodded my head with a frown smile on my lips. I see this coming. What did I expect from my Mom?

My Mom is known to be a smart, prim and tight woman in the business industry. Wala naman iyong pinagbago pagdating sa pamilya niya. Kung ano ang ipinapakita niya sa ibang tao at sa media, ganoon din sa amin lalo na sa akin. Hindi siya namuhunan sa bagay na alam niyang hindi lalago– may it be personal or not.

And as for Dad, he's way too far from Mom. What I mean for 'far' is that Dad is the complete opposite of Mom's attitude. He's sweet, caring and understanding. Also, he has a lot of assets than Mom, reason why our family is being called as the top multibillionaire in Asia.

"Hey, sweetheart, it's gonna be okay. You're gonna have fun there. Trust me." My Dad assured me when Mom left the dining table.

"Talaga po?" Bigla naman akong nakaramdam ng galak dahil sa tinuran ni Daddy.

"Of course. Finish your food so you could pack up your things for tomorrow."

Tinapos ko naman agad ang pag-kain ko saka na umakyat sa kuwarto ko na kumakanta-kanta pa habang nakangiti. While Mom is the strict one, Dad is being a loving parent for someone like me who wants to be loved and filled with attention. He always make sure that everything's fine and that I should always put a smile on my lips even in the unpleasant situations to not cause any harm to other people.

Maaga kaming umalis para bumiyahe papuntang Manila. I was bored at wala akong mapaglibangan sa loob ng sasakyan. Plus, the traffic is slightly heavy. I also tried to sleep at naging magulo ako sa paghahanap ng komportableng puwesto that caught my Mom's attention.

"Act like a lady. You're twelve now," she said a little bit annoyed while looking at me with her stoic expression.

I bit my lower lip and avoided her gaze. "Sorry po."

"I don't want this attitude of yours. Do I need to remind you everytime you commit mistakes like this?"

I was shocked by her sudden judgment that cause me to belittle myself even more. I don't want to get scolded by my Mom because her words are too sharp to leave scars in my heart. Minsan nakakaya ko pa pero there are times that she's way too much.

"Don't show any weaknesses especially when in front of other people because one day, you will be inheriting our legacy. Just laid back and be confident enough to display your power and control so that no one will ever bring you down. Do I make myself clear, Aislinn?"

Napatingin ako kay Dad na nakatingin sa akin and as always, giving me a smile so I just smiled back.

"Kailangan po ba talaga iyon? Kahit po tayo lang ang magkakasama? Pamilya po tayo, 'di ba? Wala-"