CHAPTER 6 : SOMETHING NEW ABOUT HER

Chandu's point of view

The next day I didn't feel like riding my bike to college so I took the college bus. And the classes were as usual. Karthik sat in the row beside mine. He gave me my notes back too. And he was a little less annoying than usual. Thank god.

Karthik's point of view

There was something different about her. She always has a cold expression on her face and that distant look in her eyes. When I saw her the first day, I felt something towards her, I cannot just put a finger on it. I was totally surprised when I found out that we both are at the same college. But it was nice since I wanted to get to know her even more. The fact was no one knew anything about her personal life, just made me even more curious. I noticed that the Aeronautical department dean Mr. Gupta seems to like her a lot. He has the look as if he adores her, like his own daughter. I thought I'll just ask him today, even if he gets it the wrong way. He finished his class just in time. " Thank you students. See you tomorrow ". I went out just after him. " Excuse me sir ?! " He turned around. " Oh ! Karthik. Tell me any doubts from the subject ". " Uh. Not really sir ". " Then what is it ? " " I have noticed that you seem to like Chandu a lot, she is more than a just a student to you. Can I know the reason behind it ? " " You are really smart ". I rubbed the back of my neck sheepishly. " Can you come with me ? " " Sure sir ". Then we walked up to his cabin. He sat down on his chair on one side of his table. " Please sit down ". " Thank you sir ". " So you want to know the reason just out of curiosity or.. ? " " I want to know it because I want to know Chandu sir ". I replied honestly. " Sure I'll tell you then ".

FLASHBACK

Mr. Gupta's point of view

There was a fest arranged in the college during the starting of the first semester based on different interests of students. In that process Chandu presented a project related to the structure of a rocket and the different ways in which it was built. I never expected a first year student would be that talented to make working models based on her theory. It was wonderful. Once the first semester was over I was confident enough to ask her for taking tuition to other students. When I spoke about it with the principal, he was also fine with it seeing how talented she was. One day we called her to the principal's office to speak about it. The lecturer in charge of their class was also there along with us in the office. He was more than happy when we told him about our idea. " May I come in sir ? " 

She entered the office and sat on the chair opposite mine. " So as we all noticed your brilliant performance, we wanted to speak to you about a few things. We actually wanted to offer a sty fund based on your results and also we would want to know if you are interested in taking tutoring classes to help others at free time ? " She looked a little surprised by our offer. But then her answer to it was something we never expected. " I am very thankful for your offer but sorry sir. I am not interested in it. If you really want to give me money, I really don't want it. Besides you can use to pay the fees for a student who is a little poor. I'd be fine with that ". We were all taken by surprise at her response, so I couldn't help but interfere. 

" Why do you have to do that ? I don't think we can use the money as you requested. It is a nice offer. Just accept it ". She smiled when I said that. " It is but I really don't need it. If not then use the money you offered me as my bus fee. I'm too lazy at times to ride my bike, so I'll board the bus if I feel like it ". She then gave a smile again and continued. " And for the tutoring sessions I might have free hours and I'll try to do it during that time. If that's it then I'll be taking my leave ". She stood up from her chair and was near the door when the principal spoke again. " Think about it once again. There will be no way I will offer this to you again ". She turned around with a gentle smile. " My knowledge is not for sale. I am sorry if I sounded rude but that is the truth ". 

She turned around and left the room. I was surprised by her response and when I asked her about it she told me that money cannot get us everything we want. I thought she was naive to let go of that kind of an offer, but after hearing her answer I understood that she knew what she was doing.

And back then during the summer break she took an exam conducted by ISRO ( Indian Space Research Organisation) to recruit students. Even though students were not really eligible, we let all the interested students take the exam so that they will gain knowledge. So she also took the exam and topped in it. When one of the scientists noticed her marks and her presentation they wanted to offer her a job. So she even went through an interview for it. We met once again in the principal's office along with that scientist. " I've seen all of the projects and models you have prepared. They are really wonderful. So we actually wanted to offer you a job at a higher rank than what the students usually get. And you can continue studying as you work. So what do you say ? " "

 Thank you so much for your kindness but I don't think I am up to the mark for the job. I still have to complete my college to gain total knowledge. If I come there with half knowledge, you will be facing a problem in trying to teach me about the things I still need to learn. It would be a waste of your time and mine too. So I cannot take up the job ". " You are right though ". I expected him to be angry but he actually accepted the facts she spoke about. " But I have one thing to ask for ". All eyes were on her when she spoke. " I want you to promise me that you will offer me the job once I complete my studies and take the exam when I am truly eligible for it. If you believe that I have true potential then please write a document and sign it saying you will give me the job, because it is my dream to work over there ". 

I was taken aback by her words. I didn't expect her to speak like that but the determination in her eyes told me that she knew what she spoke and meant it wholeheartedly. I noticed him thinking for a second but then he accepted her request and even printed a document that they will offer her a job and signed it. It was made into copies as she took the original and the other copy is in the office.

                                                           -MG