CHAPTER 43 : THE SURPRISE VISIT

Chandu's point of view

I was at home watching a movie after I finished my dinner. It was some romantic movie and it reminded me of the thing that happened last time I was home. Three weeks have passed since then but it still made heat creep up to my cheeks. The feel of his soft lips against my skin still lingered on my neck. I was brought out of my thoughts by my phone ringing beside me on the couch. A small smile formed on my lips when I saw the caller id. I picked it up and put it against my ear. " Hey baby. How was your day ? " I was greeted with Karthik's voice on the other side. " It was fine. As usual ". " Tired ? " I could tell by his voice that he was worried. " No. I am fine. Just lost in thought ". " About me ? " 

I could feel his smirk even though I couldn't see him. " You think so ? " " I know so. You know I am irresistible ". " I think the word you are looking for is unbearable ". " You know the truth ". He said it like he was stating facts. " True ". I accepted it without hesitation because he was right. " I have a surprise for you. Mind giving me your address doll ? " This guy has got too many nicknames for me. " Yeah I will send it, but what is the surprise ? " " Patience princess. You will know when the time comes ". I really wanted to know what it was. There was no way I could get it out of him. We spoke for some time and hung up. I called my mother after that as I saw that she left a message that she wants to talk to me. 

The last time when I went home I found out that both of our parents wanted us to get married and we both accepted it since we were settled. But I was yet to decide whether to leave my job and go back home or ask him to come here and search for a job. I didn't decide yet. I called and my mom picked up after three rings. " Hi mom ". " How was your day darling ? " " Good. How was yours ? " " It was fine. What did you decide ? " I knew it was coming but I still don't have an answer. " I didn't think about it ". My voice was low and faded away at the end. My mother sighed on the other side. " Please do think about it ". I spoke to my father after that and my sister too. But my father didn't ask about that matter. Maybe he didn't want to add extra pressure. I was thankful for it though. And Karthik never raised this topic when he called me. I knew he will respect any decision of mine. I was just not able to decide which was my priority. This job was my dream since I was little. I didn't know if I was ready to give up dream for the love of my life.

The next day the topic never left my head. I was thinking of it the whole day. I don't say I was in a bad mood, but yet it was a little disturbing. I went home feeling tired, maybe not physically but mentally. This thing was driving me crazy. When I asked Seeta for a suggestion, she told me to do whatever I want.I finished having dinner and cleaning dishes and went to my bedroom. I tried falling asleep but was turning and tossing on the bed. After few hours of that, I was finally able to fall asleep. But my phone ringing on by night stand woke me up. I saw around me to see it was still a little dark. 

I saw the time is still 4 in the morning. Who was calling me at this time ? When I was finally able to sleep, they were disturbing it. It was the security guard. Ours was a gated community and outsiders were not allowed that easily, unless they were related to any of us. I picked the call. " Hello ". A yawn left my mouth at the end. " Sorry to disturb you ma'am. I am the security guard. But there is a guy here who says that he is you husband ". " My.. WHAT ? " I was completely baffled by that statement. Who was this guy who claims to be my husband and this early in the morning ? I will kill that guy if this is some kind of prank. 

" Who is that guy ? " " His name is Karthik ". WHAT ? WHAT WAS HE DOING HERE ?" Give me five minutes. I will be there ". I rushed out of my room. I was in my sweat pants and a t-shirt. I ran downstairs and picked up the keys of the door and my scooty on my way out. I drove towards the entrance and parked my bike near the gate. The security guard saw me and opened the gates. I saw that it was none other than Karthik who was standing there with luggage. I was shocked to even say anything. He gave me a smile when he noticed me. " What are you doing here ? " He frowned and put his hand to his heart as if he was hurt. " No hug or kiss and 'hey I missed you' ? "

" I'd rather kill you right now ". I said it with a slight growl. " Sorry to disturb you ". I said to the guard. "Come ". I said gesturing towards Karthik. This guy has got nerves to do this. I barely had sleep and this was getting to me. We drove back in silence. Once we reached home he came in and was looking around. " Nice house ". " Why are you here ? " My eyebrows were knitted together in confusion. " You don't like it ?" " Did I say that ? It is just that, I was too surprised to see you early in the morning and claiming to be my husband ". I sat on the couch and he put his bag down and sat beside me. He put a hand around my shoulder and I was leaning into his touch. 

I put my head onto his shoulder and closed my eyes. " Had no sleep ? " I nodded in response. He was stroking my hair and I would be lying if I say I didn't like it. It was soothing. I could feel the touch of soft lips on top of my head and a muffled 'sorry' and I was out like a light.

                                            -MG