CHAPTER 23 : MORE THAN FRIENDS? MAYBE LOVE?

Karthik's point of view

I bent down to her cheek level and kissed her cheek. " You are really beautiful today ". She was surprised by my action. She met my eyes and then I noticed the pink color on her cheeks. She lowered her lashes with a shy smile. " Thank you ". I was still holding her hand when we were walking back to the bike. She didn't resist it too, so I let it be. I was more than happy today. I didn't expect her to react that way. I thought she would slap me straight in the face, but she actually liked it. So I was sure that this was not just friendship. But what is it ? Love or just a crush ? Whatever this can be called, I liked the feeling. We were back home by lunch time. Grandma was waiting for us and then served lunch to us.

Once we were done with it grandma suggested that we go to see their fields. We all started in their car. I was the one to drive it. The roads were a little bumpy at times, but it was fine. We spent the whole day in the fields. We were running around like little kids and we took photos again, this time with grandma and grandpa too. And that day I felt asleep really fast. I was tired after the long day outdoors. And the next two days passed by really quickly too. I had a lot of fun. I learnt a lot of things about different types of crops and the fertilizers used and a lot more things. Now we were on our way back to our house. We were in the city and would be home in 10 minutes. Soon we reached our area and her house. She stopped in front of her house. I got down from the bike. 

" Thank you so much for taking me along with you. I had a really nice time ". " No need to thank me. Thank you so much for accompanying me. I had a really nice time too ". The way her eyes were shining when she said those words is unforgettable. I could see true admiration in her eyes. We stayed there looking into each other's eyes. She was the first to one look away. Even in the little light I could see her cheeks gaining color. I bent to her level and whispered in her ear. " Good night ". She bit her lower lip. " Bye ". It was barely above a whisper. I couldn't have heard it if I was far away. Then I walked in to my own house. The only thought in my mind was about her. My mind was running wild at the thought of her. I kept looking at her closed door from the window in my room.

Chandu's point of view

In the course of time a lot of things changed between us. My opinion about him has changed too. At first he was just a stranger, but now he is more than just a friend. I don't know if it is love, but I want him to be there for me for my whole life. He bought every cell in my body alive just with a touch. I felt protectiveness when I was around him. If it is possible I want him to be by my side for the rest of my life. But I don't know if his feelings for me remain the same after knowing about my past. I want to be selfish and never tell him. But that would be betrayal and I would not do that. I will tell him at the right time. With all these thoughts I was not able to sleep. I rolled in my bed for some time and then fell into a deep slumber.

Third person point of view

Things have changed between them. The emotion her eyes held whenever she looked at him has changed. They were not sure if it was love. But they enjoyed that feeling because it always made them happy. They enjoyed each other's company more than anything. Today was the day before the final foot ball match between their college and another one. It was going to take place in their college and Karthik was going to play. Chandu was not sure if she would go or not. It reminded her of a lot of memories, but she cannot reject it if he asks her to come. She actually took time to teach him different trick and defense tactics in football. Whenever she had free time she was on the field playing football. She never expected herself to be able to stand on the ground, let alone playing the sport. She helped him in completing his notes too. 

He sent her a text that he wanted to meet her after college. She replied that she will meet him near the grounds. The day went by pretty quickly. She packed all her things and started walking towards the football field. She noticed that some of them were practicing and some were just sitting in the stands. There were a few couples sitting too. Some of the players were sitting along with their girlfriends. By the time she went near the ground, Karthik came towards her. " Hey. Thank you for coming ". " It is fine. What did you want to talk about ? " He was hesitating a little. He was not sure of her reaction to the question he was going to ask her. He was rubbing the back of his neck out of anxiety. She was waiting patiently. He finally mustered up the courage and asked her. " Actually some of the girls will be wearing the jersey of the guys who they like. So I wanted to ask if you would like to wear mine. It is fine if you don't want to. I can understand... " " I would love to ". 

She cut him off with those 4 words. He was speaking really fast since he was nervous. But he stopped abruptly when he heard her answer. " Really ? " He was not sure if he heard her right. So he wanted to confirm it. " Really ". He had a broad smile on his face. Like a little kid who got the candy he wanted. She smiled at his happy face. " Then I will give it to you once I head back home ". " Sure. I will see you then, bye ". She turned around and walked away. She turned around to look at him and he still had that goofy smile on his face. She waved at him and he waved back. With that she turned around and left. Around 7 o' clock he texted her to meet him at the balcony. He was standing there with a cover in his hand. He gave it to her. She saw that his jersey was in it. 

" You washed it right ? " She loved to tease him. He gasped at her comment. " Come on. It is a new one. I didn't even open it ". She laughed at his reply and nodded. " Just a minute ". She went inside and gave him his books. She completed them up to date. " How did you complete them so quickly ? " " I am ambidextrous. So I wrote both the notes simultaneously during the class ". He had his mouth open. " Is there any other hidden talent that I don't know about ? But how is it even possible ? " She just shrugged. " You know than giving slow poison, it is better to kill at once. So if there are any other talents just tell me. My heart can't stand anymore strokes ". He put his hand on his chest and gave a dramatic expression like he was in pain. She laughed at his actions. " For now I think this is it. If there is anything else you will know it when the time comes ". They spoke for some more time and departed into their own houses. 

                                                  -MG