CHAPTER 39 : THE SEMINAR

Chandu's point of view

I was working on my laptop at home after having my dinner. There was still work even after a long day. I checked my mail box to find a mail from my head. I opened it to see what it was about. I started reading the documents he sent. It was regarding some seminars arranged by ISRO at different under and post graduation colleges. It was about letting them know our work, experiences and the offers we have for students as interns too. So they selected a few people to go to the colleges to give seminars. And the most exciting thing is that it is in my city. So I can go see my parents again if I get selected. 

It was a week away. I was really excited for the day to start. The next morning, when I went to work we attended a meeting in which I found out that I was one of the representatives. I was totally excited and we need to give a demonstration before we leave at our office for an approval. I started working on it as soon as I went home that day. Within the next three days I presented it to our team and head. They all liked it and made a few corrections and the final speech was ready. I didn't even tell my parents this time. We had to attend different colleges. I was given four colleges on total. So I decided that I will go to one college on one day and complete it leisurely in four days. But the problem was I have to give 2 seminars in two of the colleges. 

I didn't expect it but actually the college in which Karthik was working was on my list. He was going to get a surprise from me again. I was really excited to see his reaction when he finds out. I decided to scare the hell out of him by surprising him. It was total fun to tease him. I was smiling to myself like an idiot sitting in front of my laptop. We all took a train on Saturday evening. We reached the station by 4 in the morning. They all planned on going around the city after they finish the work and I told I will tag along too. I only told them that I am going to bring someone with me, but not Karthik. I told them that I cannot promise since I haven't informed him of my arrival. I asked them to visit my house and some of them to stay if they wanted to. But they rejected saying that it was a burden for us. 

Even though I denied it they didn't accept it. Their reason was that they wanted freedom for once. I laughed at their reason but let it be. I didn't want to force them when they don't want to. I rang the bell and my mother opened it. " Good morning ". I greeted her in an over cheerful voice. She rubbed her eyes and was looking at me wide eyed. " It is not a dream mom. I am really here ". She smiled and took me inside. " What brought you here so suddenly ? " I explained the whole thing to her. " Does Karthik know ? " I shook my head no. " You are not going to tell him too. I am going to visit his college today. I will see him there ". I said with a mischievous smile. My mom shook her head at me smiling. " He will run away some day, if you keep scaring him like this ". I giggled at my mother's comment. 

" He loves me too much to do that. So don't worry ". I greeted my father who just came out of his room. " Good morning dad ". He had the same expression as my mother. I went up to my room. All the windows and the door to the balcony were closed. I let it be, otherwise he will find out that I am here.

I slept on my bed and woke up at 8 again. I went down after brushing my teeth. My mother was busy packing the lunch boxes where as my father was busy reading newspaper. Beside him my sister was sitting on the sofa listening to music. "Morning ". I shouted loudly. My parents turned towards me with a smile but my little sister has a horrified expression. I laughed at her expression. She hugged me after coming out of the shock. " When did you come ? " " This morning ". I patted her head and went to the kitchen. " Came to help your mom ? " I shook my head. " Too hungry to do it ". I replied with a smile to see my mom giving me the typical look every mother gives  her lazy daughter. It only made me laugh harder. I went and sat on the sofa beside my sister.They were dome packing and were ready to leave. 

" Breakfast is on the table and eat it without forgetting. All the best for your seminar ". My mom instructed me before leaving the house. I was all alone again. I went towards the window in the living room. From the window I could see Karthik closing their gate. So he was also leaving for his work. I was watching his every move. He sat on the bike put on his helmet and then he looked up at my house towards my room. He smiled at it and then was about to start the bike but suddenly stopped his actions. I didn't know if he felt my presence. He raised his head to look towards the window I was standing. I guessed his actions and moved back in time. Once I heard the sound of the bike I went to look at him again. He was looking straight ahead and left the place on the bike. I also have to leave or else I would be late. I have to be there by 10 and the traffic in this city was no joke. 

                                                          -MG