CHAPTER 17 : THE NICE SIDE OF HER

Karthik's point of view

The exams came faster than I expected them to. I was in my physics exam writing answers. I just finished one and looking for the next question. That was when I realized that I don't know that and it is actually one of the most important ones. I didn't know what to do. Chandu was sitting in front of me. I checked for the invigilators and see that they were not looking and called her by poking on her back with my pen. She got the signal and bent back. I whispered to her that I didn't know that answer. " What can I do ?"She whispered back. " Please help me ". And then she bent forward and continued writing. I was completing the remaining answers which I know. We were half way in to the time for our exam to be complete. But she got up from her seat and went to the desk and submitted her paper. How could she complete the exam that early though ? She was collecting all her things. She did something I didn't expect. 

She gave me her question paper and left the room by taking mine. It was just a split second. She did it so fast that I remember it like a blur. When I saw through her question paper I noticed that she wrote the key points of that answer I didn't know. I smiled at the paper and continued to complete my exam. I was done before 10 minutes for the bell. I noticed that she wrote a message to meet her near the parking lot after the exam and she wrote all the best with a smiley beside it. It was really cute. I collected my things and jogged towards the parking area. She was standing under the shade of a tree and playing with a leaf. I went and stood in front of her. She gave me a smile when she found out that it was me. " How did you write ? How could you forget such an important answer ? " " I wrote it well, because of you. Thank you so much for the help ". " It is not going to happen next time ". " I know, I know. I just don't know why but I felt totally clueless about that one ". " It is fine but be careful from next time ". I nodded. Then we walked up towards the entrance. " How are you going home ? " " The college bus " "Oh, okay then. Bye ". I went towards my bike and she went towards the bus.

Finally we were done with the exams and back to college. We were in our class waiting for our papers. I knew I wrote well but I felt a little nervous because the people around me will have some expectations from me since I am the newbie here. Our class in-charge Kushal entered the class. " So nervous for the results ? " He laughed at our eager faces. " So who do you think got the first place ? " All of them turned to look at Chandu. It was more than obvious. She looked unbothered because of all the eyes on her. She might have got used to it. " You guys are right though. It is Chandu as usual ". She walked up to the desk to collect her papers. " Congratulations ". " Thank you sir ". She was back to her seat when all the students cheered and clapped for her. " But the second place this time is something interesting. Any guesses again ? " Everyone was looking at each other. " It is Karthik ". What ? Did he just say it was me? I walked to the desk and collected my papers and was back to my seat. I felt so relieved actually. All of my nerves calmed down. When I turned towards her she was looking at me with a smile. " Congratulations ". " Thank you ". It felt nice when she congratulated me. That warm feeling was back in my heart again. 

We were done with the classes and were walking towards the canteen. I finally requested her to come with me to the canteen.And after be bragging about it, she finally accepted it. We saw Mr. Gupta standing outside out classroom when we went out. He asked us to come towards him. " Hi. Chandu like the last year I need your help with that guy again. He didn't complete his projects yet. If he doesn't, even his partner will lose marks. Just help him out again. Please ". " You need not request me sir. It is fine. I will speak to him ". " Thank you. God bless you dear ". Then we started walking towards the canteen, when she was chatting on the phone with someone.Once she was done she looked up at me and smiled. " You've got a really good first impression ". I just laughed at it. 

" Maybe. Did you expect me to get good marks ? Because you were not really surprised like others ". " I knew you will make it. In fact I thought you will get the first place. I know that you were just acting like you are dumb. You suck at acting ". " Really ? I thought I managed well. But I don't think so ". " You are not really that intelligent too. You are as dumb as you are intelligent. You are dumb enough that you didn't know there is something called as GPS to search for a house. But you are intelligent to solve all the example sums from text on your own ". She gave me a victorious look and laughed at me. " That day at my home, you woke me up just to test me didn't you ? " " I got what I wanted to ". We both were laughing when we reached the canteen. We sat at one of the tables and finished our lunch.

                                                 -MG