The Baby Momma

I had been journaling every morning and been trying to actively think about my situation and how I saw myself. My therapist told me to ask myself some serious questions about my parenting, my health and my relationships. She wanted to know if I felt like I had the ability to properly parent at the level I wanted to and continue it with another child. In the back of my head I had no idea why I found it so hard to think about having another child. I think part of it was that I had only really ever been they extremely intimate with Trey and look how that blew up in my face. I was scared about what the future would hold for me and while I couldn't imagine that happening with Caleb nothing was truly out of the realm of possibility.

When I thought about having another child I had to think about pregnancy and how grueling it was. I wasn't the same person after I had Andrew and I was worried about my postpartum depression. It was hard for me and his pregnancy was challenging and that was just 5 years ago. I was older now. But these could be issues that my doctor could help me with if I wanted to. Then I thought about the other adoptions. I had always been open to adoption but the process could be long. I didn't know if I had it in me to do fostering especially since there was a high likelihood that the kids would be returned to their custodial parents. The constant flow of kids in and out would be hard for me and then how did we even choose. Would we want to adopt a baby, a toddler or maybe a teenager. I mean having three teenagers in the house would be a lot but it could be possible. I just didn't know.

The following day I actually had to speak with Martin and he came over while the kids were at school. He didn't say much at first but I knew that he was probably shocked that I wanted to even speak to him.

"Okay Martin I just want to say thank you for coming but listen in all seriousness the kids have been asking about Trey and I think they would like to see him. And while I am not a fan of that I just want to make them happy and in order to do that I need to make sure that Trey is stable"

"Listen Diamond there aren't enough words or ways in the world to make things right between you and Trey. I can only do so much and he's his own person. I think he's trying to make amends and he has a lifetime of work to do with you but just know that I've always been on your side and I've always wanted to say that life is complicated and shit happens but these kids are precious. If there are things that I've learned in my life is that children are the most precious things in the world and they have to be valued and cared for. Trey wasn't in the right mindset and he is still working on it but he would love to see them and I know that you're not interested in speaking to him but he would really like for me to give you this envelope. Now he's my blood and I don't always agree with how he goes about doing things but if I have to be the messenger to make sure that things stay civil then that's fine"

"Martin I'm not trying to have that conversation today. I just went to know if he's stable to have at the party?"

"Yes"

"Okay. It's at 1. I want him here to be at 1 on the dot and no entourage. He can have security and you but that's it. I don't want anything on social media and if you're taking photos I want it with the cameraman. He's not to take the kids from the main area and if they don't want to see him I don't want any arguments. I don't want to have him near me or trying to speak to me. Can he follow those commands?"

"Okay. No problem. I'll watch over him"

That weekend Caleb came to surprise the kids and they were so happy to see him they basically jumped on him from the moment he opened the front door. We were having a little movie session and I was pushed from the couch to make space for the special guest. We must have all fallen asleep down on the couch because when I woke up the next morning there were hands and tint feet all over my face. I got up and Caleb and Nia were already in the kitchen making breakfast. I didn't want to interrupt them but I did want to hear what they were saying.

Nia, "Listen Caleb I don't know what's going on between you and my mom but I just ensure you to know that we all really missed you. I don't know if you're back for good but I was hoping that maybe if you have some free time you would come and see my team play. Moms been so busy with the little kids and helping out with Kairo that I haven't wanted to like burden her but I kind of just uh you know what never mind. It's totally fine"

"Little banana split I would love to come and watch you play. I know that Ashley Henderson has probably been giving you a run for your money"

"Oh she could never be on my level. Even coach knows it. But honestly I've been just focusing on my team and the playoffs"

"Okay. Now all honesty how have you been doing? I know we haven't had our morning car ride talks but I do care and love all of you guys so how's my little banana split doing?"

"Oh you know. School is school. Moms doing her best and that's it. Nothing to special. I mean it sucks that you aren't here but at least you call and check on us. You're more of a dad than that stupid sperm donor could ever be so I take what I can get"

"Listen Nia I know that things are complicated with you and your dad right now but you have to be open to working things out with him even if it's just a little bit. I know that the other kids may not feel so negatively about your dad but we don't want to make them feel ostracized and neither you referring the relationship you have with your dad"

"I know that Sade wants to be friends with him and whatever but I want nothing to do with him. He's made my life hell. You know when all that shit was going down and he was cursing my mom out on social media and just being stupid I had to go to school and get constantly stared at. It's like he didn't think about how that would effect any of us. I can't forgive him for that or for separating us. My dad has always tried to be a good father and maybe when I was younger he had it together but these past five or six years he's turned into a completely different person and I can't forgive him for that. When my mom finally started dating you I didn't know if it would lead to anything but you've been here every step of the way and before you left there was something I wanted to talk to you about but I'm not sure"

"Nia you can always talk to me about anything. Whether I'm here or back in Arizona I'll always be there for you and the kids. That's not going to change"

"I kind of need to speak to mommy about it and maybe you guys together but I don't know. How long are you staying here?"

"I'm only here for the weekend and I've got to get back to Arizona on Monday. But I'm coming back for Sade's party and I'm bringing Nana and pop pop"

"Okay. Maybe tomorrow we could all go out for pizza or something. Sade has been obsessed with this pizza place twenty minutes away"

"Yes for sure and I'm going to ask a favor of you. I was thinking that maybe you could watch the kids for a couple hours one afternoon so I could go and have some quality time with your mom"

"Yes. No problem. As long as I'm fairly compensated then it should be no problem"