The Wife

As I was getting ready for the date I kind of felt a little nervous but I told myself that this was just a friendly early evening hangout and I didn't have too many expectations. I wore a cobalt blue wrap dress that had a tiny slit on the sides and some classic black pumps. I didn't want Martin to get the wrong idea and I honestly didn't know what my idea was. As it got closer to 7 I kind of started to freak out but I just told myself to breathe. Bria was at the house and agreed to watch Kairo because I wanted to give the nanny some time off.

"Toya I'm honestly proud of you. I know that you aren't jumping full back into the game but this is good. Have fun tonight"

"I feel like I'm about to shit myself. I honestly don't know how this is going to go down and then the whole shit with Trey"

"Girl fuck Trey. The only thing good that's come out of your relationship is the fact that you have this amazing baby. You need to live your life and stop worrying about what is going through his mind. Unless you're trying to get back with him"

"Hell motherfucking no. I don't want no parts of that. It's definitely not worth it to me"

"Okay. So have fun tonight and Kairo is in good hands"

When Martin arrived he gave me a quick hug and said hello to Bria. Kairo was knocked out but he gave him a quick kiss on the forehead before we left. We ended up going to this Thai place and it was amazing.

"I just wanted to say thanks for taking me out. You know I've been kind of stuck in the house but this was fun"

"Oh for sure. It's not a problem. You know I see how much you give for Kairo and you're doing great. He's got a wonderful parent and hopefully Trey can start doing his part"

"And you have been a wonderful uncle to him. You've been there since the day he was born and he's not going to ever forget that. Neither am I"

"You know that's like my child right there. I never thought of myself as a family person you know. Not with my background and then shit changed. You know Trey can be a handful but I knew that if he couldn't be there then I had to man up and help out"

"Really you're not a family person? I mean you help out so much and all you do for Trey"

"I mean I didn't think I would every kind of meet someone who I would have such high energy with that I wanted around me all the time. You know it's kind of hard to explain but I didn't think that I would find someone who I wanted to be around for the rest of my life or at least have in my life for the rest of my life and be excited about it. Cause it doesn't make any sense to have a kid with someone and you're not really fucking with them. That's just going to be constant drama and it could honestly fuck up the kid. So I figured I would just be there for my people and live through them. I don't know"

"And has your opinion changed? I heard a lot of didn't's in your conversation, so has something changed?"

"I mean meanings have changed in my head, but I'm about taking things slow and working on me. I need someone that's on that same length. Constantly trying to work on them"

"Okay. That's what I like to hear. Relationships are always constantly evolving and in order to do that you need to work on yourself. Your goals in life can change daily and it's important to have a partner that sees that. I made the mistake of kind of jumping into something maybe to hard and forcing it when I shouldn't have and yes there were some fun times but there was also a lot of shit and that's something I have to process and deal with for the rest of my life but a lot of good came from it. I wouldn't replace Kairo for the world but I do know that I have to deal with Trey for the rest of my life and I know that you said he's changed and all that but the emotional trauma he has put me through is something I will never be able to fully get over. That is something I will have to mask to make sure that my child has a loving relationship with their dad and feels like we are on the same page"

"Listen I can't apologize for Trey and I have no right to tell you what you should do but I have to thank you for working with me and Trey. I know he's done a lot of bullshit but he's also dealing with a lot of trauma from his life and I know and understand where he's coming from. I think that's part of why I didn't think I would want kids. I mean I had a crazy life and I didn't have my parents to really show me what life and love should look like and I didn't want to bring a kid into this world and lead them down the wrong path"

"I mean I'm no expert but I learn from my parents mistakes and my own and life itself. Life is crazy and unexpected and can change at an instant. You may have written off things and then they pop back up. Things happen and I've realized it's more about how you adapt to things in life"

We ended up talking for over two hours and it was only because I got an alert on my phone did I realize how late it was.  When we got back to the house Bria was knocked out with Kairo on her chest and they looked so peaceful. Martin and I talked for a bit on the back deck while he smoked. Some part of me wanted to kiss him but I just didn't want to take the risk of ruining something sweet that we had. I walked him to the front door and thanked him for the night. He gave me a quick hug and said we should have a nice evening hangout again. After I closed my door I wanted to just open it up and run to his car but I just headed upstairs.