Chapter 48: Hiyashi Midoriya

Flashback: 13 years ago

"I'm telling you Inko, this is for the best!", Hisashi Midoriya shouted. "Izuku has power that is too great to leave alone! He's been blessed far beyond anyone before him!"

"He's only a child, for god's sake!", Inko shouted back. "What do you mean about power, about him being blessed? He hasn't even developed a quirk yet!"

"You have to believe me, Inko, I can sense it in him!", Hisashi shouted. "With our DNA flowing through him, there isn't any way that he wouldn't be capable of it!"

"Capable of what? What is going on with you! You promised me that you would keep your villain business separate from the family when we married! Was that all a lie? It sounds like you're trying to turn our son to your side!"

"This isn't anything like that! I see power in him... the potential of great power. I have employed the service of a close friend to glimpse into his future, and it is amazing! the balance between good and evil in this society has always been a seesaw, but Izuku can change that! He can finish all that I had hoped to achieve, without doing the things that I had been forced to do! There is great light in him, which will only grow as he does too. But there are also the seeds of darkness... darkness that can obscure his light... he must be pure! The purest of good in order to be able to do what he was brought into this world to do!"

There was a long silence, with Hiyashi breathing heavily and Inko staring at him in horror.

"What are you saying? It sounds like you almost want to cultivate our son to achieve your dreams!", she finally said with a trembling voice. "Don't you think he should have his own dreams of his own, a choice to how he wants to live his life?"

Hiyashi sighed. "I guess there is no way to convince you. Do you think the life of the villain is the one I had dreamed of as a child myself? Yet it is the part I play, because it is the only way to heal the world! We can't be greedy, we must do it for the greater good!"

"You've gone crazy. When I married you, you had convinced me that your villainous deeds would stay away from us, but here we are now."

In a swift movement, Inko picked the baby Izuku up and headed to the door.

"I'm leaving. Come back to me when you've calmed down.", she said, then left the house.

Hisashi roared in frustration.

"WHY?!?! WHY CAN'T SHE UNDERSTAND?!?! Everything I'm trying to do is for the greater good, for the good of society!"

In his anger he slammed his fist on the table next to him, and heard a crashing sound. He looked down and saw a picture of him with his son and wife, all smiling as they posed for the camera. He was suddenly hit with a massive wave of guilt, and looked up at the ceiling.

"No... this isn't right. I've been blinded by my own dream, by my own ideals.", he murmured to himself. "I'm a danger... a danger to my son and my wife. It'd be better if I just... left."

And he did leave. He took everything that would hint about his existence, and burned it down. He burned his clothes, pictures, all of the happy memories that he had shared with his wife and son.  All the while, he repeated the same thing that had kept him sane in all of his years of villainy.

For the greater good... It's for the greater good...

As he flew to his headquarters, he was deeply embroiled in his own thoughts, pondering if this was really the right move for him. He was so deep in thought, in fact, that he didn't sense the powerful presence that rapidly approached him until it was too late.