Chapter 52: Kaminari Denki

Kaminari P.O.V

People always used to looked at me like I was stupid. Like I was a disease. A curse. And I used to believe all of it. Everything was always my fault, no matter if I was even related to it in any way or not. My step dad would beat me for everything that went wrong. My step mom would lock me into my room and not give me food for days on end so that I could 'reflect on my mistakes'. I had no school friends, no people to talk to, nobody to rely on. No matter where I was, I couldn't escape the whispers that followed me in my small hometown.

"It's him... that electric boy..."

"He brings disaster with him wherever he goes."

"Be careful around him, he might go crazy again."

"Don't play with that boy, all right? He's dangerous."

"What a shame, the rest of his family is so proper, yet he..."

"I would die of shame if I was the one taking care of him."

"Why doesn't he just leave already? Isn't it obvious he isn't wanted?"

The only singular exception was my big brother, Sanda Kaminari. He was the only person who would treat me as human. When step mom locked me up, he sneaked food to me through the window. When step dad beat me, he would beg him to stop. He would bring video games to bring my room and we would play all night, trying to keep quiet while laughing our asses off. He didn't care about what had happened in the past, he was always there for me.

The troubles all began when I first developed my quirk at four years old. I had been playing with the little family dog, a Shitzu, when I started feeling static along my arms.

11 years ago

"Dad!", I shouted with excitement. "I think I developed my quirk!"

"Coming, Denki!", came my fathers response.

My brother ran out the house, positively jumping with excitement. "Your quirk! Your quirk! I wonder what it is! Maybe our quirks will be similar so we can become heroes together!"

I laughed, and picked up the dog.

"Well, Sparky? What do you think it'll be?", I asked it with a giggle. Suddenly a current of electricity went through my body, a blinding flash emitted from me, and Sparky yelped before going limp. "S-Sparky?"

"D-Denki?", big brother stuttered. "Wh...What happened?"

I started sobbing "I don't know!", I bawled. "I was just holding him, and then he... he just stopped!"

"Denki? Sanda?", our dad shouted as he come to us. "What happened? What was that light?"

He stopped when he noticed Sparky and my tears.

"Son?", he asked calmly and slowly. "Please explain to dad what happened, alright? You're not in trouble, don't cry."

"I... I was holding him, and then I felt a weird feeling in my body, then I flashed and Sparky yelped then went limp!", I answered quickly. "I don't know how it happened!"

My dad embraced me and patted my head. "It's not your fault... don't worry."

"My my...", my mom said as she walked out of the house. "What is happening here?"

She walked over to where my brother and Dad were hugging a sobbing me and placed a hand on my shoulder. 

"DEAR NO! YOU DON'T HAVE A QUIRK!!!", my dad shouted, but it was too late. I felt the same static current as before, then the same bright flash. This time, instead of Sparky, it was mom who let out a scream and fell to the ground, limp.