The Late Late show

I sat backstage to the Late Late Show, one of the makeup artists touching up my makeup as I fiddled nervously with my fingers.

"You nervous?" the makeup artist asked. I looked at her in the mirror.

"That obvious, huh?" I chuckled, making her smile.

"You're okay, honey. Are you the girl who's going on with Tom Holland to clarify your relationship?" she asked.

"That's me." I nodded.

"You'll be fine. And kudos for getting Tom Holland." She smirked. My eyes widened slightly.

"Oh, no, the entire point is that we're not-."

"You ready, darling?" I was cut off by Tom's voice as he and Harrison walked into the room. Their eyes widened as they saw me.

"Damn, Y/N/N, you look good." Harrison nodded in approval, making me smile as I looked at Tom.

"Tom?" I asked hopefully. He opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out for a moment.

"You look...you look beautiful. Absolutely beautiful." He spoke. I blushed and looked down at the comment, not wanting Tom to see the effect that he had on me.

"You don't look too bad yourself." I smiled, skimming my eyes up and down the black suit and tie that he was wearing, accompanied with his white dress shirt, an outfit that was similar to my midnight blue skater-skirt dress and black heels.

"Why thank you. You ready?" he asked.

"As ready as I can be when I'm about to go on international TV for the first time." I gulped.

"You'll be okay, I'll be right there with you." He promised as he gently took my hand. I gave him a small smile and nodded as he led me out of the room and to the backstage area.

"Please put your hands together for Tom Holland and Y/N Y/L/N!" James Cordon announced, making the audience cheer and clap.

"Here we go." Tom nodded, giving me a reassuring smile as he put his hand on my lower back and started to lead me out onto the stage. I tried to ignore my heart almost pounding out of my chest and the nervous knot in my stomach as I smiled at James and leant in for a hug, allowing him to peck my cheek.

"Lovely to meet you, Y/N, and lovely to see you again, Tom." James smiled as he hugged me and shook Tom's hand.

"Pleasure to be here, mate." Tom smiled as we sat down on the sofa, Tom closest to James' desk as I smoothed my skirt out against my legs.

"So, I believe that you two are here to explain what's happening in this photo." James smirked, making the audience "ooh" and whistle as the photo of us spooning flashed up onto the screen. I smiled sheepishly as Tom and I looked at each other.

"You want to explain this?" he chuckled.

"I'm not the famous one, this is all you." I smiled, making the audience chuckle. Tom nodded and smiled as he sat back on the sofa and stretched his arm across the back, making me bite my lip as he subtly cupped my waist with his hand.

"So, Y/N here is my best friend, along with Harrison, from back home. As a surprise, I flew them both out for a month, about two weeks ago. First night, the three of us went out to a club, and this one got a bit too drunk." Tom explained, smiling at me.

"A girl's got to have fun." I chuckled, earning cheers from the female members of the audience.

"So, Harrison and I somehow managed to get her back to mine, but she would not go to sleep unless I stayed with her. She was wearing an uncomfortable dress, and I was wearing a shirt drenched in alcohol that got spilt on me, hence the lack of clothing, and we've been best friends since we were three, so we're comfortable sleeping in the way that we were." Tom nodded, gesturing to the spooning aspect of the image.

"A likely story, Tom. Except for the fact that people have seen you guys around, and have said you seem closer than best friends, you've even been seen holding hands occasionally. Even now, you're sat in a way that means that Y/N is cuddled into your side, and your arm is around her. I don't want to know where your hand is." James joked, making Tom and I chuckle as the audience laughed.

"We're best friends, we're close." I shrugged.

"But you're not as close to Harrison as you are to Tom, isn't that right?" James interrogated further. I sighed, unsure of what to say, partly because I didn't want to admit my true feelings for Tom, especially not on international TV, but also because the way that Tom's fingers were gently stroking over my waist was distracting me.

"That's just how we grew up. I was friends with Tom before I was friends with Harrison, so as much as I love Harrison like a brother, naturally I'm closer to Tom." I nodded, trying to lie my way through the interview.

"So, you guys are just best friends? Not even friends with benefits, don't enjoy the occasional hook-up?" James chuckled.

"Even if we were, which we're not, we're hardly going to admit it on international TV, mate." Tom laughed.

"Alright, okay, fair enough. So, just best friends? Nothing more?" he asked.

"Absolutely." I nodded.

"Nothing more." Tom shook his head.

"Okay, then. Now that that's cleared up, let's move on to talk about your latest Spiderman movie, Tom." James smiled.

"Let's." Tom chuckled, giving me a reassuring smile as he gently squeezed my waist. I returned the smile and listened to the conversation, trying to hide the fact that my heart was breaking at what we had both just said. Just best friends. Nothing more.