Caleb comes back

My eyes fluttered open, squinting as they were met with the harsh morning sun. I yawned as I rolled over and stretched my arm out to curl it around Tom's waist. Instead, my skin collided with the cold bedsheets. I opened my eyes fully and sighed as I was alone in the bed, the only other presence being Tessa lying across my feet. It had been almost a month and a half since Tom had left for LA, and yet I still woke up, expecting him to be there. I gulped, tears pricking my eyes as I leant down and pressed my nose against Tom's pillow. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, breathing in the familiar scent of my fiancé's cologne and shampoo. I sat up again, sighing as Tessa stood up and shifted so that she was sat on my lap.

"What are we going to do without your daddy, huh?" I smiled gently at her, scratching behind her grey ear. Tessa let out a huff, making me smile as I shifted my legs from underneath her and stood from the bed. I grabbed one of the white dress shirts that Tom had left behind before putting it on and buttoning it up, once again drowning me in the scent of Tom's cologne. And I loved it. I held the crisp white material up to my nose as I walked into the kitchen and poured myself a cup of coffee. Suddenly, the doorbell rang, making me look up as my eyebrows furrowed. I looked at my phone, checking the text that Harrison had sent me that told me that he was coming over at noon. It was only nine, so I knew that it couldn't be him. I gulped, putting my coffee onto the island before heading around the kitchen counters and to the door. I opened it and my eyes widened. I gulped, now majorly regretting my decision to not get properly dressed as I saw who was stood on the doorstep: Caleb.

"Hey." He smiled, his hands in his jacket pockets. I gulped, unable to speak as he looked at my attire. His eyes widened.

"O-oh, sorry, I didn't realise that you'd...um...be wearing so little." He chuckled. I looked down and nodded, trying my hardest to pull Tom's shirt down enough to cover my underwear.

"That's because it's early, and the only person that I'm seeing today is Harrison-Caleb, what are you doing here?" I scoffed, looking back at him.

"I heard that you and Tom had moved back to town permanently, and I heard that Tom had flown out to LA for his most recent movie, so I thought that you'd like some company." He shrugged. I raised my eyebrow, suddenly becoming very suspicious of why the man was here. Maybe he was figuring that since I'd cheated on him with Tom, I'd do the same to Tom with him.

"I cheated on you, Caleb, with the guy that I'm now engaged to, why would you want to keep me company?" I gulped. He sighed and looked down.

"Look, Y/N, I believe in second chances, even when someone throws away my trust like you did." He nodded. My eyes wavered at his words.

"Look, Caleb, I just-."

"Please, Y/N? I'd feel so much better knowing that things are going well for you." He smiled. I sighed, hesitantly returning it as I stepped to the side and let him in. He looked around the apartment, his eyebrows raised.

"Tom treats you well, huh." He chuckled. I raised my eyebrow.

"For your information, Tom bought this place for both of us, with money earned by both of us." I nodded.

"Sure he did. Did he buy that engagement ring with your money as well?" he scoffed. My eyes widened.

"It was Tom's grandmother's, so neither of us bought it. Now, you have two options, either change your attitude or get out of my apartment." I nodded, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Sorry, sorry. I just had a really hard time after our break-up." He mumbled. I sighed.

"I, um...I'm sorry to hear that." I nodded. He returned it and gave me a small smile as he sat on the sofa, an awkward silence filling the air.