Chapter 14

Oikawa loudly shut the door to the changing room. He briskly made his way to the court, picked up a volleyball and started hitting serves.

Oikawa was in a bad mood.

He had been hitting for a while when, unexpectedly, Ushijima joined him on the court.

Raising one brow, Oikawa sauntered over to him and asked in a mocking voice: "Why are you here so early, don't you have "English class"?"

Ushijima shrugged. "She cancelled."

Oikawa grinned for the first time today, finally the day was looking up.

"Did she? She must be tired of your stoicism. Can't blame her." He mocked and stepped back on the court. "Hit some spikes for me."

Ushijima nodded and followed Oikawa on to the court, tossed the ball for him to set up, and then proceeded to spike.

They did a few warm ups like that and then started practice more seriously.

After a few minutes Oikawa felt himself really getting into it. The ball just flowed and went exactly where he wanted it to go.

And then it happened. As soon as the ball touched his fingers, Oikawa knew that this would be a perfect set up. He had never experienced a ball this good. He followed the ball with his eyes as he came back down from his jump and in utter horror watched Ushijima swing his arm and miss.

He missed the most perfect set up Oikawa had ever been able to perform.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" Oikawa yelled at him, but Ushijima just stood there blinking a few times.

Then he raised his hand apologetically and slightly bowed. "Sorry."

"Sorry?!" Oikawa was fuming. He was about to continue his tirade, but was interrupted when other teammates started showing up for morning practice.

"She better have a good reason for this." He muttered under his breath.

All through practice he was out of sync with Ushijima. He blamed Ushijima for it, but he knew that today was just an off day for him. Not that he would ever admit that out loud, definitely not in Ushijima's presence.

When practice was over however, the coach took Ushijima aside for a moment to have a talk. That confirmed Oikawa's suspicion that Ushijima was not having a good day either.

It bothered him for the rest of the day, so in the evening, after classes he decided to send you a message

'What were you doing this morning?'

But then, as he realized the time difference with your country, deleted it and changed it to.

'Where were you yesterday?'

He hit the send button and hoped that you would reply soon, because he had some things to say to you.

Luckily for him, the wait was not long.

'What do you mean?'

He quickly typed a reply after taking a bite of the piece of bread he was eating.

'You cancelled your tutoring session with Ushibaka.'

He noticed it took you a while to type an answer.

'I had dinner with a friend.'

That caught his attention.

'Like, you had a date?'

He saw you start to type and delete your message a few times and could already guess at your answer.

'Kind of.'

Oikawa huffed.

'Well, plan your dates outside of your tutoring next time. You cancelling on Ushibaka completely threw him off his game. The coach even talked to him about it.'

For a few moments it remained quiet, you weren't even typing. Oikawa was about to poke you when finally you started typing something.

'I'm sorry, I'll think about it next time.'

Oikawa huffed again.

'Good.'

'Thanks for telling me. I would hate to be a bother to you or Wakatoshi.'

Now that made him feel a little bad about coming down on you.

'You can bother him all you like, just not if it affects me as well.'

You sent him a thumbs up emoticon and that marked the end of your conversation.

You put your phone away and tried to focus back on the lecture you were attending, but to little avail.

On one hand you felt bad for not tutoring Wakatoshi yesterday, on the other hand you could hardly believe that that had anything to do with Wakatoshi's playing.

'He must've just had an off day.'

The rest of the day crawled by at the pace of a drunk snail and you felt more exhausted than usual.

Tomorrow was Friday, your last day of classes before the Christmas holidays, and you looked forward to taking a break.

You still had to go in for your part-time job in the weekends, but work had been more enjoyable since you had bonded with Marie so you didn't mind.

She squeezed as many details about your date out of you as she could that weekend and you had to wonder if she even remembered how she had fangirled about Wakatoshi.

And like that, Monday rolled around. You slept in and it was near lunchtime when you noticed a message from Satori on you phone.

The timestamp said it was sent somewhere last night.

'I got your card thank you ☆ヾ(*´・∀・)ノ Merry Christmas!!!! ᒄ₍⁽ˆ⁰ˆ⁾₎ᒃ♪♬   ·͙⁺˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚⁺‧͙⁺˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚⁺‧͙⁺˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚⁺‧͙'

You smiled, relieved that the cards had arrived the day before Christmas.

You replied on the message with your own Christmas wishes and wondered if Wakatoshi had also received his card and little gift. If he had, he had yet to let you know.

But you heard nothing from him that day and so it became Christmas.

Your first Christmas all on your own. All alone.

-----

A/N :

Today I was feeling just as Oikawa did this chapter and I have no idea why. (╬•᷅д•᷄╬) I guess I got out of bed with the wrong foot.

So next chapter will be Christmas! I wish it was Christmas in real life so I could be in a Christmas-y mood (。→∀←。)

Thanks for reading, see you next week!! (≧∇≦)/