Chapter 42

A/N: This chapter might be a little bit shocking. I wasn't sure if it warrants a warning, but I thought 'better safe than sorry'.

---

It was the middle of the night, at around 2 am, when Wakatoshi shot awake from your ringtone. After rubbing the sleep from his eyes he rolled onto his side to accept your call before rolling back, leaving his phone on its place on the nightstand.

"I have a game tomorrow." He stated, trying his best to stay awake.

"Yeah I know, I'm sorry." You said, and he could immediately tell from the way your voice cracked that something was wrong. He was wide awake in an instant and sat up, taking his phone in hand. He turned on the light so you didn't have to look at a black screen.

He could easily tell that you had been crying. "What's wrong? What happened?" He asked, getting more anxious by the second.

"It's... It's Marie." You were able to say, but he could see that you were trying your best to keep from crying, making him really worried.

"She was hit by a car." You couldn't hold back anymore and started openly sobbing. 

Wakatoshi was at a loss for what to do, and in the end he could barely start asking the dreadful question. "Is she..."

To his relief, you shook your head at his implication. You had to take a few deep breaths before you were able to explain further.

"She's in the hospital. She's not waking up." You broke out in sobs again and Wakatoshi had never felt as helpless. What does one say in a situation like this? No words of comfort were appropriate to the situation.

After a little while, you had composed yourself enough to tell him what happened.

"We were saying goodbye after having lunch while she was waiting for a green light. When the light turned she stepped out on the street and then she was just... gone. Before I really understood what had just happened people started rushing, calling an ambulance, it was chaos." You had to take breaks now and then to regain your composure as you recounted the events. 

"I called Sam. You know, Marie's brother who helped me move? And then the police came to ask me some questions, I don't even remember what I told them, it's all a blur from then on."

You fell silent and Wakatoshi had never wished harder for the social skills to deal with situations like these. Ironically, all he could think of was to hold you until you were okay.

"I think I'm going to try and take a nap." You told him after a short while. 

"I'm sorry that there's nothing I can do for you..." Wakatoshi told you, feeling angry at the situation and even more at himself.

"Your presence really helps. I'm sorry to keep you awake when you have a game tomorrow." You said in a quiet voice.

"Please don't apologize." It actually hurt him to hear you say you were sorry. "If you need me, just call okay? I don't care if it's the middle of the night or in the middle of a game, I'll do my best to be there as soon as I can.

Michael is in the dorms as well isn't he? Go to him if you can't be on your own, okay?"

You nodded. "Okay. Now go back to sleep, I'll go take a nap."

As if he'd be able to sleep after that. But he went along with you, told you goodbye, and waited until you logged off first. He sat there on his bed for a while, his hand clenched tightly around his phone.

After trying to put his thoughts in order for a while, he got up and changed into his training gear. 

Five minutes later he found himself in Tsutsujigaoka Park, where he usually went for his morning runs. It was the first time he had come here this late at night, and he was grateful for the quiet.