Chapter 56

When you returned from your bathroom break, it seemed that the volume in your little karaoke room had increased again. Everyone was in high spirits and some of the people who had been partaking in alcohol wear clearly starting to feel the effects of the drink. 

When you sat down next to her, you came to the conclusion that Marie was one of them. She was whining loudly to Hyakuzawa about how unfair it was that one of the members had left one of her favorite bands last year. You could only admire his patience with her.

When after half an hour both Noya and Tendou were trying to convince you and Wakatoshi to sing some romantic duet with each other, with Goshiki, Hayato, and Kageyama backing them up, you were very happy that you got interrupted by the last straggler to arrive.

"Taichi!" Tendou called out to him and waved him over. The tall guy walked over to where you were, greeting some of the others along the way.

"I guess Kenjirou couldn't make it again?" He asked Tendou who shook his head in response, his tone suggested that he wasn't surprised at the fact at all.

"But look who did make it! This is Wakatoshi's girlfriend and her friend." Tendou said excitedly and introduced both you and Marie to the new guy, whose full name was apparently Kawanishi Taichi, another mouthful.

"So you are the girl who managed to put up with Ushijima's bluntness for long enough to actually make him fall for you huh?" Taichi said teasingly. "Where are you from again? Tell me some interesting things about your country."

"Taichi we're not here to-" Tendou started, but the rest got caught in his throat as Marie abruptly stood and marched for the door. After being startled for a second you were about to go after her, but noticed that Hyakuzawa had beaten you to the punch.

Tendou grabbed hold of your shoulder to hold you back as well. "It's going to be fine." He told you as he turned back to you after watching the two of them disappear.

"What? Do you know what's going on then?" You asked, not entirely convinced that you should not be going after her yet.

"I have a guess, and I'm pretty sure you're not the person to be able to help right now. Just let Hyakuzawa handle it, trust me." Tendou explained to you cryptically.

"Did they have a fight or something?" You asked, still none the wiser.

"He has nothing to do with it, but just trust me, it's better if you leave it alone." Tendou said as he motioned for you to sit back down. You did as he told, leaning against Wakatoshi to get away from the painfully open space on your other side.

After a little while, everything went back to normal and the party continued on with Noya and Hayato doing the duet instead of you and Wakatoshi. Another half hour later Marie and Hyakuzawa walked back in, her chatting away and him listening patiently as usual.

When she approached you and sat back down on her spot next to you, you noticed she had reapplied her makeup.

"I'm sorry for leaving so abruptly. I uh..." She lowered her voice down to a whisper and told you embarrassedly: "I had a very sudden, urgent, and long date with... the toilet."

You couldn't help but laugh at that and were glad you had been worried for nothing. You felt for Hyakuzawa, who had apparently been waiting for her the whole time.

"Are you sure you don't want to sing anything?" You asked her, not wanting her to let the chance pass her by. 

"Yeah I am, I'll do it next time." She assured you and you were about to retort that there might not be a next time but thought the better of it. Tomorrow was the last day you had in Japan together. The day after, she'd be on a plane back home.