Chapter 29

You arrived at the hotel at exactly 9.30 to find Wakatoshi already waiting for you outside. He told you there was a shopping street two streets down where you should also find a place that served breakfast.

It was still very quiet out, since it was early on a Monday morning, but some of the shops and other establishments were already opening up for business. Wakatoshi guided you into a cozy cafe where a waiter was with you shortly.

You ordered a breakfast sandwich while he went with a bowl of fruits and yogurt. When the waiter returned with your food it appeared that your portion was a bit bigger than you had anticipated. It was delicious however and you were able to finish all of it. 

After both of you were done you left the cafe and turned onto the shopping street, which was starting to really come alive. Wakatoshi seemed to know his way around already as he guided you into a side street and straight into a sports goods shop.

He told you to take a seat and asked your size before walking away. He returned soon with five different shoes for you to try on. You took off your left shoe and put on one of the ones he had brought you.

Without warning he pressed the front of the shoe with his thumb even before you had had a chance to lace up.

"Too small." He said and motioned for you to take it off. He repeated the process with the next shoe, but the third one was good.

He instructed you to walk a few steps so you did. As you turned around you noticed he was intently watching your feet.

"How do they feel?" He asked you as you sat back down.

"Good." You replied, you were not the best at describing how a shoe felt.

He squatted down in front of you and lifted your leg a little. Then put his finger in between your heel and the shoe. "Are they not too loose? There's a lot of room here."

You could only nod, you did not trust your voice at how close he was. The fact that he was still holding your leg was not helping either.

"Let's give these a shot then." He said casually as he handed you the fourth shoe. While the other three had been white with colored accents, these were a dark grey.

When you slipped them on you could already feel how these were different from the others. You would have never been able to explain what was different from the other shoes, only that these were way more comfortable.

"I like these." You said even before Wakatoshi could press on the tip.

"Looks like this is a good fit." He said after feeling the front and the back. "Walk a bit."

You did as told and now you could feel where the last shoe had been too loose. This one felt like it had been made especially for your foot.

When you sat back down Wakatoshi was already taking the other shoes back, putting them back in their proper place.

A saleswoman then approached you as you were waiting for him to return.

"Have you decided?" She asked you and you told her you had indeed made your choice.

"I would have come to help you with the fitting, but it seemed your boyfriend had everything under control." She told you with a smile.

"My...? Oh no! He's not my-" You started rectifying her assumption when Wakatoshi returned.

"I'll go get this pair for your girlfriend then!" She turned her attention to him at once, seeming not to listen to what you were trying to say.

"Can you get the ones with the purple accents, not the yellow?" He asked her before letting her go to the storeroom.

As the both of you walked to the register to pay, you noticed the shoes you were about to buy in the racks. You also saw their price card. You were already familiar enough with the local currency to know that they were above your budget.

"Uhm, Wakatoshi?" You started hesitantly while you stood waiting at the register. "I know we went through all that trouble to find a good shoe, but I'm afraid they're too expensive. I had to pay for the new hotel and stuff..."

Just as you had finished talking the sales lady returned. "You're in luck, these were the last of the grey and purple ones in your size!"

Before you could say anything, Wakatoshi put a hand on your shoulder. "It's okay, I'll pay."

He handed the lady his credit card before you could complain. You took the bag as she handed it to you and told you goodbye.

When you left the store you couldn't help but say something. "You shouldn't have, really, it's too much."

"Good, fitting shoes are important." He told you matter-of-factly and when he noticed you were not convinced he added: "Consider it a late Christmas gift."

That was hardly fair, a keychain for a pair of shoes? You'd have to remember to give him something better next Christmas.

That reminded you that his birthday was actually coming up. You had originally planned to get him 'something from the world cup'. But since you had discovered he was part of the tournament you had completely forgotten about it.

Maybe you could come back here to shop another day.

After buying a few new clothes to get you through the week the both of you started on your way to the gym. It was closing in on 11 am when you stepped into the deserted changing room.

You came out wearing your new shoes, training pants and a t-shirt. Wakatoshi had just changed his shoes to an indoor pair.

You noticed him smile as he spotted your outfit and figured he liked that you had chosen to wear the Vabo-chan shirt he got you.

"Let's warm up a bit first." Were his next words and only then did the reality of what was about to happen hit you

"How about a few laps around the court?" He suggested and you began to realize that this might be the day that you died.

-----

A/N:

Thank you for the well wishes everyone! I'm doing much better, I don't feel sick anymore at all!! ٩(^ᴗ^)۶

This chapter did not come out at all how I intended, so that was kind of interesting. Ready to get moving in the next one? I would sure as hell die if I had to run 'a few laps'. (*≧▽≦)ノシ))

Thank you for your support and see you Wednesday!! (≧∇≦)/