Chapter 33

As promised, Wakatoshi met you at your hotel and you went out to do some sightseeing. You had not figured him as one who liked to do touristy things, but there was a lot about him that you didn't know.

As the day progressed however, you noticed that he was not his usual self. Conversation got strained again and you wondered if you had done something that made you go back to how things were at the start of the competition.

By the time you entered the Japanese restaurant for an early dinner, you could cut the tension with a knife. You were just debating whether you should excuse yourself and leave or you should just come out and talk to him when he started speaking.

"I'm sorry for today. I'm actually not a very big fan of sightseeing." He said and it seemed your initial assessment had been correct after all.

The waitress arrived and you both placed your order, after which you picked up the conversation again. 

"Then why did you suggest it? I would have gladly done something else, even just watching practice or something." You said while you were waiting for your drinks to arrive. 

"We're not supposed to practice on our day off." He said and you chuckled. "But I needed to clear my mind."

He took a few moments to gather his thoughts again and then continued. "It's not the first time that I've been under this type of pressure. I've been in a lot of national tournaments and even international with the under 19 team. And it's never really bothered me before, but for some reason I'm... nervous."

So that's what had been weighing on his mind. As bad as you felt for him, you couldn't help be relieved that you were not the cause of the tension between you.

"Well, it's easy for me to say, but I think it's perfectly normal that you're nervous before a match in the semi finals. Not a lot of people -" You stopped talking as the waitress arrived with your drinks and a small appetizer.

"Anyway." You continued when the waitress had left. "If you weren't nervous before, maybe there is more riding on this competition than the others?"

"It's just a world cup, just like the Under 19 was." He said and you almost burst out laughing at how he could say something like 'just a world cup' with a straight face.

Your food arrived not much later and the both of you ate in silence for a little while before Wakatoshi started up the conversation again.

"I think I figured it out." He said as he looked at his rice intently. 

You lifted your head and swallowed, before saying: "Care to elaborate?"

"It's like this tournament is a graduation, from 'just playing' volleyball to heading into the pro-circuit. And I want to end it as best as I can." He said and started eating again.

"Fourth place is already very good." You noted, well aware that he probably did not think it was good enough.

"I want to win this. Not for me and not even really for the team. I want to win this for my father, who got me into volleyball, for my teammates from middle school, high school and college, for all the coaches I've had. I want to show them what all their hard work and dedication led up to. I want to win for all the youngsters that will be in this tournament in two years and all the years after. Pave the way and show them what can be achieved."

You took a pause from eating your meal. You had known that the 'silent waters run deep' proverb was likely applicable to Wakatoshi, but this was the first time he had talked about his inner feelings this openly to you.