Chapter 36

When you pulled away from him Wakatoshi crash-landed back on Earth and got a knot in his stomach as he saw the tears threatening to spill from your eyes.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have." He tried to think of how he could ever apologize enough when you buried your face in the fabric of his shirt, confusing him. You hugged him tight and he could barely make out the words as you spoke them hardly above a whisper.

"I don't want you to go."

Relief washed over him as he wrapped his arms around you and held you tight. For a moment there he had feared that he had made the worst spontaneous decision in his life.

"I'll stay." You felt the rumble of his voice against your cheek as he spoke. "Until I have to leave, as long as possible, I'll stay with you."

You nodded, but did not step away from him. You spent a few minutes basking in his presence, listening to his heartbeat and feeling the rise and fall of his chest. 

"I feel the same, I do not want to leave." He said into your hair, making you lean back a little to be able to look up at him. "Especially now that I know that you..." He trailed off and you smiled as you saw him go slightly red.

"Now that you know that I like you back?" You asked him playfully. He had not actually told you he liked you in words, but you knew what they said : 'A kiss speaks a thousand words.' 

Okay, that was not actually what they said, but it was true for him at least.

He nodded, bashful still, and quietly told you: "Yeah, because I like you too." Then a grin appeared on his face, something you had not witnessed often, if at all. "With two o's."

You couldn't help but laugh and you took the lighthearted moment to release your hold on him. "So..." You started. "Shall we go inside?"

He nodded and you took his hand to lead the way.

"I'm sorry, my room probably looks like a dump compared to the one you're staying at." You cleared some of your stuff from one of the chairs so he would have a place to sit. 

"But that one I have to share with Tendou." Wakatoshi replied, making you snort. While the initial awkwardness between the two of you had been gone ever since you were able to clear the air after your attempt at volleyball practice, it seemed that Wakatoshi had shed another layer of restraint.

"Poor Tendou, all alone in that big, luxurious room, I'm sure he's crying." You mocked in good humor.

"More likely texting his girlfriend." Wakatoshi remarked casually, but right after the words left his mouth you saw his eyes widen. "I shouldn't have said that."

"He doesn't want me to know that he has a girlfriend?" You asked, surprised, you didn't take Tendou for the secretive type.

Wakatoshi sighed. "Not you, specifically. Despite how he acts, Tendou is a very closed off person. He's had to deal with a lot in the past."

Your curiosity was obviously piqued, but you had no desire to pry and even if you did, you were sure Wakatoshi wouldn't tell you anything anyway.

"I'm happy for him, he deserves it. He's a great guy." You mused as you let yourself fall backward onto your bed. 

"He is." Wakatoshi confirmed as he watched you and silence fell. After a few moments you lifted yourself up on one elbow.

"So what do you usually do after you win a world cup?" You asked grinning. 

"The same thing I do after most games, watch a recording of it while the game is still fresh in my mind." Came his unexpected reply.

"What? Even if you win?" You asked incredulously.

"There's always room for improvement, even if you win. No one ever plays a game without making mistakes." He told you and you knew you had underestimated the dedication this man had.

"Do you want to do that right now?" You asked, realizing that you were getting in the way of his routine.

"I can do it tomorrow... on the plane." He told you and you felt his mood drop.

"No no! It's fine! Here." You said as you patted the space on the bed next to you. "I'm just going to go and change into something a bit more comfortable."

Before you could disappear into the bathroom however, Wakatoshi grabbed a hold of your wrist. "It's a shame you don't feel comfortable, because you look really beautiful right now."

You were about to tell him to take his flattery somewhere else, but you stopped yourself when you remembered how he was always so brutally honest. So instead you stood up on your tiptoes to peck him on the lips. 

"Thanks." You said as you lowered yourself back down. "But I'm still going to change." And with that you entered the bathroom and closed the door behind you.

You leaned against the door for a moment, trying to quiet your wildly beating heart, before you finally stepped out of the dress and into the comfort of your casual clothes.

When you stepped out of the bathroom again Wakatoshi was sitting on the bed, his legs stretched out in front of him. You walked over to the other side of the bed and sat down next to him.

Half an hour later you found yourself leaning against Wakatoshi as the both of you were looking at the small screen of his phone. Your head was resting on his chest, an arm draped over his stomach.

"I jumped a second too soon, if I'd waited I could've blocked that." He told you as he intently watched the game. You had been watching together with him occasionally pointing yourself out when you appeared on the edge of the video image, but your attention started to waver as the exhaustion of the day's events caught up with you.

"I was too close to the net, Oikawa still tried to adjust his set, but to no avail." The vibrations of his voice had been slowly lulling you to sleep.

"You're so amazing Toshi." You whispered after stifling a yawn. You were starting to have trouble keeping your eyes open and it barely registered when he pressed a kiss to the top of your head.

Even though you had intended to stay awake for the entirety of the night, not wanting to waste a minute of the time you still had left together, it didn't take long after that for you to drift off to sleep. 

-----

A/N: 

I'm sorry!! I know a lot of you guys wanted/expected more to happen! ( I've seen your comments ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) )

That's why I wanted to take this moment and clarify for all of you, to avoid disappointment in the future. This is not going to be that kind of fic. Please don't expect any lemons or something because I just do not feel comfortable writing that. (Maybe that'll change in the future, who knows)

However that doesn't necessarily mean it's not going to happen, just that if it does, it's going to mostly be 'off-screen'. So I'm sorry for all of you that expected spicy scenes, I hope you'll still keep reading nonetheless. m(_ _)m

Thank you for your support, as always, and see you Sunday! ヾ(°∇°*)