Chapter 35

The first set had a difficult start for Japan and they were never able to pull ahead of Italy, giving the set away with a score of 17 to 25. 

In the second set Japan was able to turn it around and secured a big lead which they were able to defend right until the end, securing them an ironic 25 to 17 win. 

The third set started of with a neck-and-neck side out battle which eventually saw Italy pull ahead. Japan was able to catch up and take the set with a very close 25 to 23 win.

The fourth set had about the same start as the previous one with Italy starting to get ahead around halfway. It became a real nail biter by the end when Japan started scoring as Italy were almost there with 24 points on the board. In the end Italy emerged victorious as they scored the final 25th point while Japan was still on 22. Which meant this was going to be a five set game.

"I should have brought a snack or something, I'm starving!" You complained as you noticed it was nearing 8 pm.

"Here you can have this." Tendou said as he rummaged through his bag and handed you an unopened box of Pocky. It was regular chocolate flavor, unlike many of the special flavors you had seen on the internet.

"Thanks." You said as you opened the box and started munching while the fifth set got underway.

Just like the previous sets the fifth started with a side out battle, each team scoring after the other and you realized that whoever won this match they would've had to fight for it from start to finish. 

When the score was 7 to 6 in Japan's favor they were able to keep their lead for a few rallies until Italy took it away and made it 10 to 11 in their favor. 

After the score hit 12 to 12, Japan took the lead again with the next point which was a service ace from Oikawa. Italy was able to receive the next serve, but their attack was stuffed by the Japanese block, bringing Japan to match point.

The crowd held their breath as Oikawa prepared to serve once again. He hit a good one, but it was cleanly received by the Italian team. Japan could get a touch on their spike and Nishinoya kept the ball alive for Japan. Oikawa set the ball up for Japan's 2 meter tall spiker, who hit it with a force that made you wince at the thought that someone had to try and receive that.

An Italian player was able to get underneath it, but sent the ball flying over the net and out of bounds. It took a second for you to come to the realization that that meant Japan had won. The people around you were faster than you and had already begun cheering and some of them, including Tendou, had ran onto the field to celebrate with the team.

You just stood there, not really sure on what to do. You did not feel like you knew the entire team well enough to go and celebrate with them, plus that would mean you would be in the spotlight with the lot of them.

You decided to leave the same way Tendou had brought you and find a place among the other spectators in the stands to watch the ending ceremony and wait for the players to leave.

As you walked the deserted hallways of the stadium you quickly typed a message to Tendou telling him where you were going. 

Even though you knew they would not be looking at their phones for a while and you would see them in person soon anyway, you couldn't help but send a 'Congratulations!' to Wakatoshi and Oikawa.

That reminded you that you should ask if Noya was on Line as well.

-

About 45 minutes later you were starting to feel light headed from hunger and you cursed yourself again for not thinking about bringing snacks. The award ceremony had ended a little while ago and you were now waiting for the team so you could join them on their celebration dinner.