Chapter 19

At the end of March Wakatoshi graduated from college and left his dorm. You, on the other hand, just started feeling the pressure of your own exams coming up.

You both decided on two set days in the week to finish up your English teaching sessions. You were running out of teaching materials anyway and Wakatoshi's English had already improved greatly, so you guessed your arrangement was getting close to ending either way. 

All through April and May you tried balancing college, your part time job, studying and teaching Wakatoshi but felt like you hadn't succeeded at all. So once June rolled around and exams started you knew that there were a few courses that you were under prepared for. You called off your tutoring sessions entirely and instead spent your nights cramming as much as you could.

But it was not easy closing a gap that had slowly built up over the course of the entire school year. So the weekend before your exams started you found yourself on lunch break from work complaining to Marie.

"I'm never going to be able to pass all my exams like this." You moped over your drink. 

"You should have taken time off from work, used your weekends to get more studying done." Marie told you matter of factly.

You sighed. "Maybe. But I need the money, there's rent and bills to pay you know. And I'm trying to save up a little for my trip in July... Why didn't I just say no? Maybe it's not too late to cancel yet."

Marie shook her head. "Don't do that, you deserve a break! Also, you really need to hang out with people more. It will be a good chance for you to bond with others a little more."

You groaned. Marie had figured out along the way that you didn't have any friends aside from her and Michael, and that you rarely went out with anyone. She had started inviting you along with her and her friends some time ago, but you had been too busy with studying. You always told her 'When exams are over.'.

"Anyway, what's done is done, I don't think taking time off from work is going to do anything for me now. All I can do is hope for the best."

Marie nodded in agreement. "What's the worst that could happen anyway? Makeup exams? That's not the end of the world, trust me, I've done a lot of them!"

"Yeah, best not to dwell on what happens should I fail those as well... I'd like next year to be my last year of college." You replied and the both of you finished your lunch in silence.

-

The evening before your first exam, you unexpectedly got a message on Line. You looked up from your study material and saw that it was from Wakatoshi.

'Good luck on your exams.'

You smiled and you typed a 'Thank you!' as a response. You knew you had only casually mentioned the day of your first exam once and wondered how he always seemed to remember those small things.

The first of your exams went well, but you knew that your more problematic exams were coming up next. You did all you could to get through them, but you already had the feeling that you didn't do well enough.

At the end of the year, your fears were confirmed when you got your results. Two makeup exams that would take place at the end of August. If you did not pass those you would have to take three subjects into the next year.

The news did not hit you as hard as it did others, because you had honestly expected that you would have to take three exams again instead of two. You had already planned out a study schedule for the entire month of July that balanced studying and having fun.

You also planned to resume tutoring Wakatoshi, if he still thought it necessary. His trip was in the beginning of August, so you could still practice for a month until you left for your own weekend abroad.

He agreed, but wanted to resume the reduced schedule of 2 days a week you had used before your exams since he had gotten very busy after leaving college. Your sessions had become less like actual lessons and more like conversations where you corrected him on his grammar or pronunciation here and there. As August approached you realized that you were going to miss your talks with Wakatoshi and wondered if you would hear from him again after he got back from his holiday.

Today would be the final day you had a session with him and you had resolved to ask him if it was okay to still keep in touch even though the lessons would be over. It was still morning when you got a message from Wakatoshi.

'I'm sorry, I'll have to cancel the session. I'm to busy to make it.'

Welp, so far for your resolve. It took you a moment to get over the disappointment and send back :

'No problem, have fun on your trip! Too busy is with 2 o's.'

You sighed as you looked at your suitcase that was halfway packed and figured you'd better make sure you were ready for your own trip in two days. As you remembered the purpose of your little outing you got back some of your hope. A reason you were going was exactly to be able to tell Wakatoshi you had gone to see the World Championships.

With renewed vigor you started gathering items that you wanted to take with you, double checked the time and place you were meeting Michael and making sure your reservation with the hotel was in order.

By evening you were packed and ready to go.

The next day, Michael called you to make sure everything was in order and confirm your meeting time and place once more.

The day after that, you got up early and left your apartment at the crack of dawn. You took public transportation to your meeting place and found Michael and a few others already there, waiting beside the travel coach.

"Hey!" Michael called out to you. "Let me take your suitcase to the cargo hold!" He said as he took your luggage from you.

"I'm sorry that it's heavy, I like to be prepared." You said apologetically as you walked beside him.

"Don't mind! Mine was heavier anyway." He put your bag away and took you to get on the bus, which was already pretty full of people.

"We're still waiting for a few folks to arrive and then we're off!"Michael said excitedly as he took place in the seat next to you.

"Wouldn't you rather sit with your friends?" You asked him, worried that he was going out of his way to make you comfortable.

"I am sitting with a friend, right?" He beamed a smile at you and you suddenly felt very at ease.

"Right."

It took another fifteen minutes for the last people to arrive and once they had taken their seat, you were on your way.

-----

A/N:

Hey guys, I have a confession to make... I never went to college so I actually have little idea of how college works (๑'Δ'๑). I don't know if there even are makeup exams in college! (๑ʘ∆ʘ๑) 
I hope my lack of knowledge has not influenced your enjoyment of the story.

This chapter was a real pain in the behind to write! And my smartphone died yesterday, so I had to find moments that I could use the computer, which made it even more difficult.. (⌣_⌣")

Anyway, here we have the big time skip chapter! Time for you to go on a well deserved vacation (゚∇^*)

As always, thank you for reading and see you next week! (≧∇≦)/