Chapter 66

After practicing receives for a while, which surprisingly went much better than last time, Wakatoshi came over to you and explained about overhand passes. You thought back to your high school days when you had occasionally done volleyball in PE and marveled at how much more sense everything made now.

You had learned so much about the sport, you had seen quite some matches and even practices. Everything seemed to fall in to place way better than when your PE teacher had tried to teach your class of unruly teenagers about the rules and how to play properly.

Having a clear image of what it was supposed to look like made it easier as well. You had some of the top tier players as your examples and in your mind's eye, you could imagine their movements and tried to duplicate them.

Did that mean you were suddenly good at overhand passes?

Not in the slightest. But knowing what you were doing, or at least trying to do, gave you more of a purpose than you had ever had playing any sport. You could see your own improvement and knew when you did good or less so.

But most importantly, you had more fun.

You had spent a while trying to pass the ball between the two of you twenty-five times, most of the failures due to your mistakes but Wakatoshi messing up now and again as well, and when you finally succeeded it was time for a break.

"Okay, that was more fun than I expected it to be." You said after taking a seat and drank from your water bottle. "I hope you're having a good time as well."

"Of course." He replied after wiping his face, even though you were pretty sure this had hardly counted as a work out for him. "I'm glad we were able to do this before you go."

"Aww, you almost sound as if you're going to miss me." You joked as you stood up again, trying not to let the mood drop at the mention of your impending return home.

At your words he stood up as well and took your hand, making you turn your gaze from the ball you had planned to pick up to him. "Definitely. Won't you?"

"Yeah of course silly, more than anything." You said as you took a step toward him. "I'll let you in on a little secret."

He looked at you with questions in his eyes and you continued. "The last few days, I've been looking into how I would be able to get a visa and it seems that it will be possible for me. I've not really figured out yet what category my studies would fall into, but it seems I'll have to work for three to ten years after I graduate before I can get it. I am, of course, hoping for only three.

I could also try to go for the student visa, and study Japanese here, but then I'll have to save up some money again anyway and I'd still have to leave after a year."

"I'll come to see you before that." He promised and you chuckled. 

"I'll come back to Japan before that as well, especially if it takes ten years before I can get a visa. There's no way I can go that long without the delicious food!" You joked again, definitely not ready yet to seriously talk about having to separate again for who knows how long.

In reality, you were terrified of returning home. For all your talk about visas and his about coming to visit you, you knew all those things were easier said than done. Even if you had the required experience after three years, you would still need to find a job.

And what if you needed ten years? However much you loved him, you had no idea if you would be able to be in a long-distance relationship for that long.

"But! Enough about that, it's time to throw some balls around!" You said, trying to get your own thoughts away from the dreary subject and picked up one of the closeby volleyballs.