Chapter 60

You hurriedly kicked off your shoes and stretched to put your coat on the rack, before making your way to the kitchen. You quickly put your part of the groceries away, claiming the empty half of one of the cupboards for your snacks.

The eggs and milk you just bought you placed on the counter and you started looking around the kitchen to find flour and sugar. You found something that at least looked like flour fairly quickly, but the sugar was nowhere to be found, even though Wakatoshi had ensured you that he had some.

"Wakatoshi? I can't find the sugar." You called out to him as you pulled out your smartphone and started looking for a trustworthy-looking pancake recipe.

He appeared from the entrance with the other two bags of groceries and made his way over to you. "It's in that one." He motioned with his head to the cupboard that was above the cooking range.

You had checked there, but hadn't been able to see what was on the top shelves. "Could you grab it for me?" You asked him as you started measuring the flour in a bowl.

He did as you asked and as you finished with the flour you grabbed the sugar and started measuring that out as well. "I'll do less sugar, so it's healthier."

He nodded his agreement as he moved around you to put the rest of the groceries in their place.

"I'll put your things in your room, is that okay?" He asked as the only things left in the bags were the stuff you had bought for yourself.

"Yeah sure." You told him as you were focussing on not getting any eggshells in your batter. When you were done with the eggs you watched as Wakatoshi left your room carrying the futon to place it back in the closet. You wondered if he would bother to bring it out again tonight.

As you grabbed a pan and a plate to start baking, Wakatoshi set the table and after that leaned against the kitchen counter to watch you.

"I have a few done already, if you want you can start." You said as you poured a ladle of batter into the hot pan.

"No, I'll wait until you're done." Came his answer. 

After a little while longer you ran out of batter and took the stack of pancakes to the table.

"They are really flat, are you sure you didn't do anything wrong?" He asked, a skeptical eyebrow raised, making you chuckle.

"This is what we call pancakes in my country. Less fluffy than a Japanese pancake, but thicker than a crêpe." You put one of the pancakes on your plate and grabbed the syrup that you had brought from the store. It wasn't the same as you knew in your country, but you figured it would do just as well.

"Just put something on top, roll it up and then, if you want to be mature about it, you cut pieces off with your knife and eat it piece by piece." You said as you rolled up your syrup-clad pancake.

"And if you want to act like a kid, you just pick up your pancake-roll and eat it just like that." You said with a grin as you picked yours up and took a bite.

He opted for being no fun at all and ate his like an adult, causing you to tease him a little. He had his own fun however after you started complaining about having sticky fingers.

"I'm sorry that lunch was so unhealthy today." You said as you took the dirty plates and brought them to the kitchen, where he was already running the water to do the dishes.

"I'm fine with it once in a while, it was good so don't worry." He told you as you took place next to him to dry off the clean plates.

When he picked up the cutlery you asked him: "Tomorrow you'll have practice again, right?"