Chapter 55

The first round of drinks quickly found its way to the table in the middle and even before the first songs were chosen, another person, introduced to you as Goshiki Tsutomu, arrived in your booth.

It didn't take long for him and Wakatoshi, who was seated on your right side, to start a conversation about volleyball. Marie was seated on your left side, with Hyakuzawa next to her and then Noya, who was still talking to Kageyama. 

After everyone had gotten comfortable and Tendou had stalled out a veritable feast of snacks, it was Semi who kicked the karaoke party off. 

You were immediately blown away by how good his singing was and hoped no one expected you to sing. People were inputting songs into the system left and right and to your relief, no one came up to ask you to join in.

You were also relieved to find out that not anyone was as good a singer as Semi was. Kageyama doing a rendition of a song called Hikariare proved that point very well.

After everyone loosened up and a second round of drinks had been delivered, Tendou suddenly popped a question you were absolutely not expecting.

"Wakatoshi, wanna do Senbonzakura? For old time's sake?"

Marie raised a skeptical eyebrow at you. "That's not going to happen right?"

"I don't think so?" Was your doubtful answer. You figured Wakatoshi came to these gatherings to catch up with his friends, not to actually partake, but with a nod of his head, he proved you wrong.

You waited as a few more songs came and went, feeling more and more second-hand embarrassment creep up on you as the song Tendou had picked out approached.

You almost jumped when someone passed a mic to Wakatoshi, who took it and straightened himself a bit more. On one hand, you felt so silly for getting embarrassed in his stead, on the other you couldn't believe he was actually planning on singing.

It wasn't that you didn't like Wakatoshi's voice, on the contrary, you loved his deep baritone. But singing was something completely different.

You were shaken from your thoughts when the music started, and Marie poked you in the side. "Relax, it's not the end of the world if he can't carry a tune." She almost whispered.

"I know it's silly, yet I can't help but feel nervous." You said back and as your short conversation came to an end, so did the musical intro and Tendou took the first few lines of the song.

You noticed Wakatoshi get ready for when it was his time to take over and unconsciously fiddled with the rim of your sweater.

When the first words left his mouth however, you looked up at him surprised. He was in no way a professional singer, as you had learned Semi was, but he didn't sound half bad. He even sounded pretty good actually. You felt so silly for worrying about nothing, and you slumped in relief.

"Well, that turned out better than expected." Marie said next to you. "Is there anything he can't do?"

"Smile on command." Was your instant reply, making the both of you laugh.

Now that you were more relaxed again, you noticed that Tendou was actually also unexpectedly good at singing.

After Tendou finished the song the tablet came over to your side of the room and after Goshiki had selected a song, it landed in your hands. You were at first inclined to give it to someone else at once, when you remembered there was one song you might be willing to sing, if someone else knew it as well.

You looked around the room and figured your best bet was Tendou so you made your way over to him.

"Do they have a lot of anime songs?" You asked him and he replied that they did indeed. At your request, he looked for the cute ending song of one of the many anime you had seen.

"Oh, I love that one! Do you mind if I join in?" Tendou's girlfriend said as she noticed your song selection.

"Not at all! I don't want to sing on my own, so I was going to ask Tendou to join in as well?" You said, throwing him a pleading look.

"Sure, scaredy-cat!" He said as he selected the song and handed the tablet back to you. You stuck out your tongue at him before returning to your seat.

As you sat down you handed the tablet to Marie. "Here, there has to be something for you as well right? Maybe one from the band you went to see on Christmas?"

She took the tablet from you reluctantly. "I don't know..."

"Hyakuzawa can help you find something." You said and nudged her with your elbow.

Marie started scrolling through the songs and you turned your attention back to Wakatoshi on your other side.

He had struck up a conversation with Goshiki again, but put his arm around your shoulder as you leaned into him. Not long after Goshiki's chosen song came on and you had Wakatoshi's full attention again.

"Do you do this often?" You asked him and he shook his head.

"We used to do it a couple of times a year in college, just to keep in touch." He explained. "Now some of us are getting too busy or moving far away, so this will probably be the last time with most of us."

"Oh." You said, feeling like maybe it hadn't been the best question to ask, Tendou had already mentioned that it was the last one after all.

A mic was suddenly put in front of you and you remembered that the next song was yours. You threw a panicked look at Tendou, but he motioned to you that it would be alright, he had you covered so you relaxed again.

You held the mic at a distance to prevent your voice from sounding too loud and together with Tendou and his girlfriend you sang the song and actually started having quite a bit of fun.

You moved to sit next to Tendou for a little while to see if there were any other songs you could possibly do together. When you went back to your original seat after a while, you noticed that Marie had passed on the tablet.

"Did you find anything?" You asked her as you sipped from your drink.

"No." Was her short reply and you couldn't help but feel you struck a nerve. She downed her drink, which you were pretty sure was alcoholic, and turned her attention to Noya, who was currently singing his heart out.

You decided to let it slide for now and ask her if something was wrong later, when the two of you were back at the hotel. For now, you had another urgent matter to attend to.

"Wakatoshi, could you point me to the bathroom?" You asked him and the both of you got up and left the booth.

He told you he'd wait for you, even though you tried to assure you that wasn't necessary, so you weren't surprised to find him still standing in the hallway when you were done. What did surprise you was that he was surrounded by three girls, who had obviously asked him to sign some item of theirs.

You watched from a distance as they also took a selfie with him and then were on their way. Even though nothing had happened and the girls had been nothing but respectful, it didn't prevent a knot to form in your stomach.

Wakatoshi walked over to you as soon as he noticed you and you made your way back to your karaoke booth.

"What a coincidence to run into fans here, huh?" You told him offhandedly.

"Yeah, that rarely happens in Tokyo." He agreed with you.

"I guess it would make sense that it happens a lot in Sendai." You continued the conversation, even though you didn't particularly care for the topic.

He only hummed his agreement with that statement and you couldn't help a small sigh as you entered the karaoke room again.

-----

A/N : 

I got the chapter finished a little late today, sorry about that! m(_ _)m

Thanks for reading, commenting and voting and I will see you all Wednesday!! ヾ(°∇°*)