Chapter 20

After a four hour bus ride you arrived at your destination. You had spent most of the ride asleep, since you had had to get up at 5 am, and Michael had to gently shake you awake.

You lifted your head from his shoulder and for some reason the first thing you thought was. 'So people fall asleep on each other in real life too.'

Then you quickly apologized before hurrying after him out of the bus. You looked around the parking lot and noticed a lot of people from different nationalities all walking in the direction of the stadium. You finally started to realize just how big of an event this was.

"Come on guys! If we don't dawdle we can catch the start of the opening matches!" Katie called to the group, establishing herself as the leader, and everyone around you started to move.

You fell into step with Michael and one of his teammates.

"Do you have a hotel nearby?" He asked you as he was rummaging through his backpack.

"Yeah, I found a pretty cheap one really close by." You replied, remembering how tough it had been to find accommodation in this area for this period. You guessed most hotels were filled up with volleyball fans, from the looks of it a lot of them had come from near and far to support for their country.

"Awesome." Michael said and pulled something from his bag. "Look here's the program, we can see which matches we want to watch!"

He started leafing through the booklet skipping past the player profiles and settling on the schedules in the back.

"So the opening matches today are Cuba versus South Korea and Japan versus Tunisia, anyone have a preference?" Michael asked and turned to his friend and then to you.

"Japan." You said automatically. You hadn't told Michael about your fascination with Japan, else he would have known your answer to that question already.

"Either is fine with me." The other guy said, which left it up to Michael.

"Same here, all the matches will be great anyway! Japan against Tunisia it is!"

It didn't take long for your group to reach the stadium and at the entrance your tickets were traded in for weekend passes. When you stepped foot into the stadium the whole atmosphere was a combination of excitement and professionalism. It was a far shot from the college volleyball matches or any other local sports event you had been to.

As you proceeded further into the big building, you started noticing more and more Japanese, you presumed, fans.

"We need to get to court B." Michael said as he guided the volleyball members that also wanted to see Japan's match in the right direction.

Katie was among the group that wanted to watch Cuba versus South Korea and she was leading them in the other direction, towards court A.

You passed a few food and merchandise stands and suddenly became aware of the fact that you had not yet eaten today.

"Michael, I'm going to get something to eat, is that okay?" You asked while you were already making your way to one of the stands.

"Of course, I'll come with you. You guys go on ahead, we'll be right there!" The other guys snickered as they walked away, you guessed they were aware of Michael's interest in you.

After you got a snack and a drink and Michael had also bought something to drink for him and the other guys you made your way to the supporter stands of court B.
You spotted the rest of your group sitting close to the front on the side where Tunisia was warming up. On the other side, where the Japanese team was having their warm up, the seats up front were all taken, so you guessed that they had chosen the other side to be closer to the action.

"Would you mind if I sat on that side?" You asked Michael, hoping that he wouldn't be too bummed that you didn't sit with him.

"Oh not at all! I'll join you if you don't mind, just let me go tell the guys, okay?" He started off enthusiastically, but near the end of his sentence he got a bit quieter.

"I'll go grab us a seat." You said after nodding.

You tried to find a pair of seats as close as possible to the front, but not surrounded by too many people. By the time you had taken place Michael had already returned.

He had a sheepish smile on his face when he spoke to you.

"I'm sorry if it seems like I'm clinging to you, I just want yo make sure you are having fun. Also Japan has a great team this year! I like to sit on the side of the team I think is going to win starts at. I just... I don't want you to get the feeling I'm trying something funny or something you know?" He started bumbling and you gave him a reassuring smile.

"It's okay Michael, I was just worried that you felt obliged to hang around me because you're the one that invited me." You told him and he shook his head quickly.

"No, no! That's not the case at all. I do want you to have fun, but if that means you'd rather hang out by yourself that's fine by me! Tell me if you want that okay?" He sounded slightly worried and you nodded.

"I will, if you promise to do the same." You lightheartedly stuck out your hand to seal the deal and he laughed as he shook your hand. You then turned to the warm-ups happening on the court. "Now let's do what we came here for, watch volleyball!"

Michael wholeheartedly agreed and you both turned your focus on the men setting, hitting and receiving volleyballs.

You felt Michael nudge your arm with his elbow. "Do you see that Japanese libero over there? The really short one, number 10. You should definitely keep your eye on him, he's great."

He took his program out of his pocket and started leafing through the player data to find the Japanese team.

You were still adjusting to the unfamiliar setting and were looking at the players spiking when something caught your eye.

"That setter kind of looks like a teammate of my online friend." You mentioned to Michael.

"Who? The number 3?" Michael asked as he looked at the page in his booklet. "That's Oikawa Tooru, he's great as well. As a matter of fact Japan really has some great players this year, it's why I'm counting on them winning."

Michael looked up from his booklet and noticed your shocked expression. "Are you alright?" He asked worried.

You blinked and shook your head to snap yourself out of your shock. "My friend's teammate's name is Oikawa Tooru... Which means..."

As Michael's mouth fell open in surprise, the loud noise of a ball hitting the court resounded through the stadium. You barely noticed the ball as it came flying in your direction, your eyes locked on the number 11 who had just hit said ball. He spoke a few words to Oikawa before making his way back to the bench.

"Michael... Who's number 11?" Michael quickly looked at his booklet and then read out loud:

"Number 11, opposite hitter, Ushijima Wakatoshi."

-----

A/N:

Dun dun duuuun!! o((*≧▽≦*))o