Chapter 16

You rang in the new year in your apartment, studying. You had made sure to wish your family, Marie and Michael a happy New Year at about 11 pm and you went outside to view the fireworks for a bit at midnight, but the rest of your day was spent reading your study books and going over your notes.

You had received messages on Line that afternoon from Tendou, Oikawa and Wakatoshi, wishing you a happy New year. Tendou's was full of emoji as usual. Oikawa had told you 'Best wishes and may all your dreams come true.'.

Wakatoshi's had simply said: 'Happy New year.'. You had not expected anything different from him.

In the course of January your life went on as usual and it seemed that February rolled around in the blink of an eye.

It was only the first day of the month, but already you got two very similar messages about a certain event happening this month.

One was a text message on your phone from Marie. 'Are you making plans with Michael for Valentine's?'

Not much later you got a message on Line from Tendou. 'You know where to send my Valentine's card right? ٩(♡ε♡ )۶'

You couldn't help but sigh at both messages. You had no intention of 'making plans' with Michael. You were still going to his practices and you had accepted his invitation of going to the movies with him. But at that same date you had told him that you were not looking for a relationship right now and wanted to focus on your studies.

He had taken it pretty well and you could comfortably still be friends with him, but it seemed like Katie, from the girl's volleyball team, threw you angry looks now and again.

You tried to not let it get to you, but that was easier said than done sometimes.

Marie thought it was such a shame that you had turned him down and often tried to make you reconsider.

The message from Tendou had you a little bit stumped. You had understood that he had prompted you for a card at Christmas, he seemed like a spontaneous, free spirited guy and Christmas was a day for gift-giving. But Valentine? You could hardly believe he was interested in you, so why would he expect anything from you?

On the other hand, he was half a world away, so you could see little harm in sending him a card at least. That was the benefit of having friends that lived on the other side of the globe right? If things got awkward all you had to do was block them and you'd never have to deal with them again.

As an added bonus, it gave you more of a reason to also send something to Wakatoshi. He had seemed genuinely happy with your Christmas gift and was also the only one to do something in return by showing you the Japanese Christmas lights.

You decided to go buy something for the two of them one day after classes, not wanting to go with Marie this time. If she found out she would totally try to convince you to get something for Michael as well and that was not something you wanted to risk. There was also the possibility that you buying Valentine's gifts for the Japanese boys would shift her focus back to them, but you preferred to keep Marie away from your nonexistent love life for now.

You browsed a few shops and in the end decided on getting them a sweet that was available in your country only. The lady at the register wrapped them beautifully.

The cards you had picked were the most neutral Valentine's cards you could find.

You went to the post office the day after and send the gifts on their way. With a bit of luck they would arrive just in time.

On Valentine's day you got a text from Michael telling you he wanted to speak with you, 'nothing Valentine related' he assured you.

You met him that day, before his practice, at the gym. He took you inside, it was still too cold for him, where a few members of the basketball team were already warming up for their own practice.

You stood some distance away from them so the noise would not bother your conversation.

"So, what is it Michael?" You asked him curious about why he needed to speak with you.

"We are arranging a trip with the club to go see the opening weekend of the Under 21 World Championship. It's abroad and we're planning on renting a travel coach to get there." He started explaining to you.

"That sounds like fun." You remarked, not really getting why he felt he had to tell you this in person.

"Yeah, the school is sponsoring a big part of the trip, else it would probably be too expensive. Anyway, the club will not be able to fill the bus entirely, so we have some spots available for people who want to tag along. You'll have to arrange and pay for your own lodgings, but the trip will be free." He finished his explanation.

"Oh gosh, is it okay for me to go? I'm not that close to the team or anything..." You thought about Katie who seemed to have grown cold toward you and feared you coming along would only ruin the atmosphere.

"Of course it's okay! My family and friends are tired of me inviting them to games, so it's nice to have someone else to ask this time! Also, you can brag to your online friend that you went to see the World Championship!" He seemed rather enthusiastic about you tagging along and some of your fears ebbed away with his enthusiasm.

"When is it? I can't afford to miss any classes and I'll have to take time off from my weekend job." You asked already warming up to the idea of taking a vacation.

"Oh, it's at the end of July so you won't have to worry about classes. Can I write you down for one of the free seats then?" Michael asked you with stars in his eyes, making it very hard to say no.

"Okay you can, I still have to check with my job and stuff, but I'll let you know as soon as possible if I can't go after all." You said still not entirely convinced, but Michael seemed to be over the moon with your reply. 

"Are you staying to watch practice?" He asked you but you shook your head.

"I really need to get more studying done, as I said I'm running behind on some of my subjects." With that you said goodbye to him and started on your way home.

-----

A/N :

Hey guys! I hope you like this week's chapter! I had a lot of fun writing it (*^▽^*)

As always, thank you for reading and see you next time!! (≧∇≦)/