XIII. IM SORRY... AGAIN

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
"i'm sorry... again"

Aunt May took the two teens out to the nearest Thai place and they had just gotten their orders.

While eating, Aunt May noticed Peter and Jade looking down at their food not talking to each other and stealing glances from the other.

"What's the matter?" She asked concerned. "I thought you loved larb, Pete."

He didn't say anything back to her— deep in thought— and continued picking at his food.

"Is it too larby? Not larby enough?" She grinned, pointing her chopsticks at him. "How many times do I have to say "larb" before you talk to me?"

At that, Peter looked up and his eyes popped out of his head, blowing air out of his mouth. They laughed with each other and Jade grinned at them.

"You know I larb you," she whispered staring at her nephew.

"I'm just stressed. The internship, and I'm tired. A lot of work," Peter said, still poking at his food.

"The Stark internship. I have to tell you, not a fan of that Tony Stark. Distracted all the time... he's got you in your head," May said.

Jade nodded her head, silently agreeing. Her eyes started to wonder around the building, looking at all the scenery and then she spots a TV on the side showing a news channel. Not paying attention to the Parkers anymore she listens in on what the news was.

"The beloved Queens' institution, Delmar's Sandwiches, was destroyed in an explosion," the tv anchor said. Jades eyes widened, she loved him. "...earlier tonight after an ATM robbery was thwarted by Queens' own colorful local crime-stopper, the Spider-Man. As the Spider-Man attempted to foil their heist, a powerful blast was set off, slicing through the bodega across the street. Miraculously, no one was harmed."

Jade turned to look at Peter with her eyes wide and she suddenly felt bad again for him. He had been in a huge fight— she had a feeling he might have enjoyed it— but he still could have been hurt or even died. She felt even more bad because her and Ned were just in his room playing with Legos and he probably wanted to just have a rest.

She frowned sadly and grabbed his hand from under the table, going unnoticed by Peter, his cheeks flared up. He looks her way and she gives him a small smile that said "good job" and "I'm sorry".

"If you two spot something like that happening, you turn and you run the other way," May turned around and gave the teens a serious look.

"Yeah. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Of course," Peter said acting like he would totally do that.

"Six blocks away from us!" She exclaimed as she continued eating. 

"I... uh... I need a new backpack," Peter said changing the subject and had a tight lipped smile on his face.

May puts a finger to her ear in disbelief of what he just said, "What?"

"I need a new backpack,"

Jade specifically remembered Peter webbing his backpack to the wall and the thought of the backpack being stolen made her laugh.

"What's so funny?" The Parker's asked, both in different tones.

"Nothing, just thought of something," she grinned, squeezing Peter's hand and winking at him.

"That's fine," May said and then a waiter brings a new dish to their table, his eyes glued on May and Jade.

"Sticky rice pudding," he said smiling.

"Oh, we didn't order that," May said not even noticing the man trying to impress her.

"It's on the house," he winks and leaves the table. Suddenly, Jade felt Peter's hand tighten around her own and she looked to see a slightly offended Peter.

"Oh! Thanks," she said back to him, then turns to Peter and Jade. "That's nice of him."

"I think he larbs you," Peter chuckled making everyone else laugh with him.

After the three finished eating, they headed home and when May went inside, Jade asked Peter to stay outside with her.

"I'm sorry, Pete," Jade said holding her hands together in nervousness.

"About what?" He asked confused, his eyes soften. "You've already apologized."

"About being harsh, and being a bad friend, not understanding what you're going through," She said, wrapping her arms around herself. "I know how much being Spider-Man means to you and I know you want to save people and go on missions and save the world and all the good crap, but as your friend I want to let you know now, it might not happen as soon as you want it to. And with the scene from tonight and Delmar's I realized that I've been an awful friend to you and I wanted to say I'm sorry... again."

Peter didn't say anything at first, his cheeks were flushed at her words but he ended up just smiling at her. "It's okay, don't worry about me. I'm Spider-Man, what could go wrong?"

A lot, actually.
________________