XXIV. SUIT UPGRADE

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
"suit upgrade"

On the ride over to the compound, Jade kept going back to what Peter said to her

On the ride over to the compound, Jade kept going back to what Peter said to her. She still had butterflies in her stomach. When they arrived at the compound, Rhodey met them at the front entrance.

"Speedy!" Rhodey exclaimed throwing his arms out for a hug.

"Uncle Rhodey!" Jade said back, arms wide for a hug too.

"How's it going?" He asked once they let go.

"Great, actually," She smiled.

"Your face shows it," he laughed pulling her inside.

Jade stuck her tongue at him and laughed, following him in. The sound of his mechanic leg braces softly filled the silent air and reminded Jade of his accident. He would be in a wheelchair if it wasn't for Tony making the leg braces.

Jade decided she would cook dinner that night, not really looking forward to Vision's cooking. Once dinner was over, everyone parted ways for the night going to their own rooms.

As Jade was passing everyone's old rooms, she grew sad, especially passing by Sam and Wanda's rooms. She missed them so much, there was a lot she wanted to talk to them about.

She opened her bedroom door and saw it was completely how she left it, at least no one came in. She put her bags down and took her shoes off at the door. She looked in the mirror for the first time in two days and saw what everyone meant.

She took a shower before leaving the hospital, but never really looked in the mirror at herself. She had a small bruise on the side of her cheek that was slowly disappearing and the stitches in her lip were gone, due to her fast healing. The lip was swollen and a small scar— barley noticeable— was left there.

Once she was done examining her face, she went into the bathroom to change out of her old clothes and wash her face. When she was about to get into get, she tried looking for her glasses in her bag but they were no where to be found.

"Dammit," she muttered.

Instead, she grabbed her phone and charger and plugged it in. She took her dirty clothes from the bathroom and dumped them on the floor, "maybe tomorrow" she thought.

Since her glasses were gone, she grabbed a new pair from her lab and pulled up the data file she had and uploaded it into them.

"Password," FRIDAY voices over.

"Speedy," Jade giggled. Tony put all the names in, that was her's.

Then VERONICA's voice took over.

"Good evening Miss Stark," she said. "Are you feeling better?"

"Hi!" Jade said excitedly. "Yes, I am. Thank you. Pull up Suit JS4."

VERONICA pulled out the suit folder labeled 'JS4' and inside was the updates she had made from last time.

"Veronica, call Shuri, please," she said as she was typing away new codes to program the suit.

"Calling Shuri,"

After a few rings she answered the call but requested to video call. Jade accepted and it took a second to pull up.

"Hello, Jaidan, what can I do for you on this lovely day?" Shuri smiled, then her face fell and she squinted her eyes. She laughed after a short pause. "... How are you getting along?"

"Just the usual, I guess. It honestly could look worse," Jade laughed causing Shuri to laugh too.

"Well, then, what's up?"

"I'm wondering if you'll help me update my suit?"

"You've called the right girl," Shuri smirked as she stood up and walk to her lab table.

___________________

Jade was surprised when Shuri pulled up a huge file labeled "Jaidan S." and started opening pages after pages of suit ideas she had.

Shuri had new weapon choices like extendable staffs and swords, returning daggers, even things that looked like guns but seemed to be more of a light shooter type.

She had shields and mask choices, updated drones and voice recorders, even her gloves had an updated version.

"You've been busy," Jade chuckled in awe.

"So have you. I've just been following behind you and observing what you need. T'Challa said you were on Captain Rodgers side but got away with it. He was upset when he came back because he didn't get to speak to you," Shuri explained. Then she smiled mischievously. "But guess who Captain Rodgers brought for me?"

"Who?" Jade asked not really paying attention as she continued typing in codes.

"Sergeant Barnes,"

Jade's eyes went big, she really wished she was drinking something at that moment to be more dramatic. "Wait one moment," she said as she ran out the room and grabbed something to drink, bringing it back in one second. She took a sip and spit it back out.

"What?!"

"It's true! Captain Rodgers brought him for Wakandan doctors to help with removing HYDRA brainwashing. We're almost done treating him and he'll be able to live a normal life soon. You should come see him one day,"

"I just might," she laughed.

"Who are you talking to?" Someone from the other said asked.

"It's Jade!" Shuri exclaimed looking the direction of the voice.

"Stark?" He asked while coming into view.

"Yes," Jade laughed. "Hi, King T'Challa!"

"Please don't start doing that," T'Challa rolled his eyes.

___________________________