XIX. TRIP TO D.C.

CHAPTER NINETEEN
"trip to d.c."

The next morning Jade and Michelle woke up early and finished packing up their things

The next morning Jade and Michelle woke up early and finished packing up their things. Jade changed into a simple white shirt that she twisted into a crop top and high waisted light wash jeans that had holes below the knees with her white vans and a black leather jacket. She curled her long hair and applied some simple makeup to her face.

She looked around her apartment one last time, seeing there was nothing being left, she grabbed her suitcase and phone and left the apartment complex.

When they arrived at school most of everyone was outside the bus putting their stuff in the compartment spot.

"Hey, Jade! Hey Michelle!" Liz Allan greeted them.

"Hi," The two mumbled, then Liz turned around went to talk to the rest of the team.

"Hi, Jade," Flash came up to her, speaking in a higher voice.

"Hello, Flash," She said monotoned, stuffing her bag in the compartment.

"Oh, hi, to you too, Flash," Michelle scoffed, rolling her eyes and opening her book again.

"You need some help? Can't let these guns go to waste," He said, holding his arms up and trying to flex his muscles.

"Thanks, but I think I've got it," she said and closed the compartment door, Michelle "ooo"ing in the background.

"Then how about sitting with me on the bus?" He smirked, which didn't look good on him.

"I'm with Michelle," she smiled and looked behind her at Michelle.

"Hey, it's Peter!" Abe said out loud causing everyone to see a running Peter.

"Guys—" Peter says running up to the group.

"Peter?" Liz asked in disbelief.

"Yeah, I was— uh, hoping I could rejoin the team?" He said.

"No, no way," Flash says walking away from Jade and Michelle to where Liz was standing. "You can't just quit on us, stroll up, and be welcomed back by everyone."

As soon as he finished, Mr. Harrington stepped off the bus, "Hey, welcome back, Peter!"

Jade tried to hold her snicker in.

"Flash, you're back to first alternate,"

"What?" Flash asked.

"He's taking your place," Abe and Jade said together and laughed lightly.

"Um, excuse me, can we go already? 'Cause I was hoping to get in some light protesting in front of one of the embassies before dinner, so.." Michelle said, stepping into the conversation.

"Protesting is patriotic. Let's get on the bus!" Mr. Harrington said excitedly.

Flash took his yellow jacket off and threw it at Peter.

"Welcome back," Jade smiled at him as she passed and got on the bus. Although she was happy he changed his mind about going, was it for the reason everyone else thought?

Michelle and Jade grabbed a seat towards the middle of the bus, Michelle instantly putting her head into her book, while Jade looked to see if the tracker had updated.

While looking, she had another tracking notification— Spider-Man. She looked in front of her to see Peter (who was going to practice some questions) but Ned sat in the back looking down at something.

She stood up, telling Michelle she would be right back and walked to the back to Ned. Before he noticed her coming, she saw he was looking at a hologram. Once he noticed, he hid the hologram in his jacket and smiled nervously at her.

"What's up, Jade?"

"Just wondering what you got there?" She smiled and sat down beside him.

"Oh, you know, just reading," he said, an actual sweat droplet falling down his face.

"Reading what?" She asked.

"... health.. magazine," he said slowly and unsure, his eyes getting wider.

"Okay, can I see?" she said going to pull it out of his jacket.

"No!" He said jerking away from her. "I mean.. no, you— you don't wanna see it, guy stuff."

"Oh," Jade said, standing up. "Okay then, I'll let you continue."

"Thanks," he smiled and she walked back to her seat with Michelle.

"What's up?" She asked, not looking up from her book.

"Nothing," Jade shrugged her shoulders. She then pulled out her glasses and turned around to zoom in on what he was looking at. VERONICA couldn't get anything because of the bus seat blocking her view, she groaned lowly and touched the side of her watch, a small drone activating. (She could see with her glasses but control with the watch).

She finally got a look and VERONICA scanned it, seeing it was the tracker from the night before. Then suddenly, Peter started walking to the back with Ned, talking on the phone. Jade moved her drone and Peter sat down in front of Ned.

"Look, Happy, I gotta say, you tracking me without my permission is a complete violation of my privacy," he says and Ned points at the tracker.

"That's different," Peter whispers swatting him off. Then, "Uh— nothing! Look, it's just the Academic Decathlon. It's no big deal."

Then there was a long pause and Jade decided she would bring the drone back. Then it hit Jade, Peter was only here to catch the weapon dealers. She rolled her eyes at the thought and let out a slightly angered breath. He's going to be in so much trouble.

_______________________

After a few hours, they finally arrived in D.C. They were now in the check-in area of the hotel they were staying in, which had posters hanging from the walls about Decathlon.

"Everyone stick together," Liz said loudly.

"Yeah," Mr. Harrington agreed.

"You kidding me? This place is huge!" Charles said in awe.

"I've seen bigger," Flash said quickly. Jade rolled her eyes, this is nothing compared to what she used to live in.

"There's a bird in here!" Abe exclaimed, pointing at the ceiling.

"Hey, you brought your laptop, right?" Jade couldn't help but hear Peter ask Ned.

"Yeah... why?" Ned asked confused.

"Let's assign rooms!" Liz said holding a packet, which Jade assumed was the key cards. After assigning, they all went to their rooms, Jade being assigned with Michelle.

As soon as they entered, Jade pulled out her computer. "What's going on?" Michelle asked.

"I'm thinking Spider-Man is tracking those criminals and is going to find them so I have to watch the system to make sure of it," Jade explained.

"I've got the snacks!" Michelle said pulling out her snack pack.

__________________