XXIX. FOOTBALL GAMES AND TEARS

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
"football games and tears"

It was the night of the homecoming football game, and Jade was literally being dragged there

"Why do I need to go?" Jade groaned as Michelle pulled her arm to get out of the car. "It's cold outside!"

"Because everyone goes to this stupid game! And because we're playing our rivals and the game will be good," Michelle groaned too, but only because she was having a hard time pulling the superhero out the front seat. "And I brought you a blanket."

Jade paused for a moment after hearing about a blanket. "Ugh," she stopped restraining and got out of Michelle's car. "Fine. I'll go, but you have to buy me popcorn."

"Deal!" Michelle said pulling a blanket out the back seat and locked the car with her keys.

"Do you even have a license?" Jade asked gently taking the blanket from her and crossing her arms around it.

"I have a permit," Michelle smirked. "It's my mom's car."

"Cool," Jade mumbled and followed Michelle to the ticket booth.

Michelle bought the tickets, bought Jade her popcorn, and found the seats at the top of the bleachers. Jade leaned back against the bleachers with Michelle's blanket wrapped around her and silently watched the game, eating her popcorn.

Michelle was in and out of the game, watching the field for a few minutes, then looking around the entire area and going back to the game.

Jade thought it was something going on at first, then she kept doing it and Jade thought she was getting bored.

But when Michelle did it once again, she saw something— or someone— and quickly turned back to the game, her cheeks becoming pink.

"Are you okay?" Jade asked, her eyebrow raised after seeing Michelle jump.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Michelle turned to her and smiled, acting like nothing happened.

"You sure? You've been looking around..." she trailed off her sentence when she caught a glimpse of someone walking up the stairs.

It was Ned. At first she giggled because they must have agreed to meet at the game together and Michelle didn't want to be alone. But when she saw a blue hooded figure following behind Ned, she stopped instantly, her shoulders dropping.

She turned her head towards Michelle and gave her an evil glare, Michelle grinned awkwardly towards her.

"H-hey Michelle," Ned stuttered, stopping on the stairs. "Hey, Jade."

Jade nodded her head towards him with a small smile. Then Michelle moved over to let Ned sit down beside her. He did and then Peter was standing there, staring at the ground with his hands in his hoodie pocket.