[GN] Jennie (BLACKPINK) - Really

Based on BLACKPINK's "Really"
Gender-neutral
Fluff(?)

note: jennie's pov

___

"I love you, you know that?"

The number of times (y/n) has told me they love me is uncountable, but every time they say it, they don't mean it in the way I wish they did.

(y/n) has a habit of saying "love."

If I do something idiotic, (y/n) would say they love me.

If I take a nice picture of them, (y/n) would say they love me.

If I do something cute, (y/n) would say they love me.

If I achieve something, (y/n) would say they love me.

It's always the same thing. (y/n) had said it so many times it's become watered down. It doesn't affect me as much as I would want it to. When my ex told me they loved me, I didn't feel it anymore. The word "love" had become dull to me.

The day my ex left me, (y/n) had come over to my apartment. I cried as they put an arm around me and said: "just find someone who loves you as much as I love you."

That was the point I fell for (y/n). Their heart was big. The love that came from those words struck a chord in me that wouldn't go away for a while. My friends told me I fall in love too easily, but I really felt it this time. It was a feeling that my other relationships couldn't bring out in me.

That was seven years ago, and since then, my feelings for (y/n) had definitely wavered. Their constant "I love you"s made me feel off. Why would someone say "I love you" so much without actually loving the person they say it to?

I've suggested the two of us should be together, but (y/n)'s response is always the same: "as much as I love you NiNi, I think you should find someone who's more compatible and worth your time." It was their go-to response. More like their automatic polite way of saying no and stomping on my heart.

Whenever we'd go out together though, (y/n) would be friendly. They'd be accomodating and polite throughout the day. A happy smile would be on their face permanently during the whole time.

Even with all of that though, at the end of the day, they'd say "I really enjoyed that, NiNi" and quickly scurry off somewhere. No goodbyes. No hugs. No "we should do it again sometime." It hurt, but I already knew what (y/n) wanted to say.

At the suggestion from my friends, my dating life started again after that. I jumped from relationship to relationship, hoping it could kill the lingering feelings of romance towards (y/n). Unsurprisingly though, nothing worked. The frustration I had built up against (y/n) reflected in the way I treated my significant others.

My reputation as an uptight princess rose to prominence in college and relationships got even harder. I got into fights, cheated, and even ran away from some relationships. I'd hate myself every time I did so too.

After every conflict I had, the first words that I would think of was "why can't they be more like (y/n)"?

All of the people I've dated weren't as nice or as thoughtful as (y/n). They didn't know my favourite songs or favourite foods like (y/n) did. They couldn't bring my spirits up like (y/n) could. They couldn't tell the difference between two different perfumes I'd wear like (y/n) could.

Of course, after all of my relationships, (y/n) would be there to save me. With the biggest bucket of milk ice cream in hand, they'd rescue me from my misery. They'd stay with me for the night, just to make sure I'd be doing fine. They'd wake up earlier than me to make me breakfast. They'd go out while I was at work to buy more ice cream just in case my mood went down sometime during the day.