[GN] Yuqi ((G)I-DLE) - What's in Your House?

Inspired by (G)I-DLE's "What's in Your House?"
Gender-neutral
Fluff
Warnings: short(?)

___

After nearly ten years of being apart, I finally get to see Yuqi again.

We first met when I was eight. Her family moved from China and lived in the house across from mine. Her family wasn't great with Korean at that time, so my family helped out a lot. Sure, my family didn't know a single word in Chinese, but they tried their hardest to help in any way possible.

From accompanying them to the grocery store to helping them with finding connections in the Chinese community in Korea, they did their best.

I, on the other hand, didn't do much of that grown-up stuff. Instead, I spent time with the family's daughter, Song Yuqi. I was a year older and we went to the same school. Since she was new and her knowledge of Korean was very limited, she didn't have many friends. We had our own struggles in communicating, but we still spent time with each other. We spoke through a translator Yuqi had on her at all times.

As the years went by, Yuqi's Korean got significantly better and she didn't carry her translator around.

That was also the time my family moved away. My parents and I ended up moving to Seoul due to their work, meaning I was going to be leaving Yuqi behind in Daegu. Of course, I was sad to be leaving a dear friend behind, but I didn't have much of a choice. We ended up exchanging contact information and I went on my way.

For years, we spoke over text and through social networks, I watched as Yuqi became more and more beautiful. We'd update each other on our health and daily activities every night. Somehow, our conversations never got boring.

It was when I was entering my final year of high school that my parents moved back to Daegu. I had the option to go back with them, but I chose to stay. I had a lot of friends in Seoul and I didn't want to leave them. Of course, that meant I was going to miss the chance to see Yuqi again, but I couldn't leave all of my friends behind.

I moved into a cozy apartment in Seoul and I began my life living without my parents. It was an interesting time. I learned a lot about myself during that time. Things like the strange enjoyment I get when I do basic chores around the house.

That last year of high school passed by and I finished school with solid marks, allowing me to enroll in one of Seoul's top universities. In the end, my friends all dispersed to different places around South Korea. Some went to Incheon, while others moved to Busan, Daegu, and Daejeon. I ended up being the only one out of my friend group to remain in Seoul. I didn't mind though, I had the chance to study at a prestigious school.

I texted Yuqi about it the night I got my acceptance papers and she nearly shouted my ear out the moment she picked up the phone. She was weirdly excited about the news. Probably more excited than me.

My first year at university was fantastic. The faculty was great and the facilities were all stocked with the latest technology.

That was also the year Yuqi confessed her feelings to me. With a very detailed and long text, she expressed the feelings she had for me. I, of course, reciprocated those feelings. The texts we sent each other that night was full of "I love you" messages and just full of fluffy stuff that would melt even the coldest of hearts. Even if we hadn't seen each other in years, the conversations we'd have late at night kept us together in spirit.

While I thought that year was the best year of my life, I had no idea what was waiting for me in the next year.

I woke up on a Saturday at around two in the afternoon when I saw the six missed calls and the text that was typed out in all caps. They were all from Yuqi too. With a dazed mind, I slowly unlocked my phone to check the text the Chinese girl had sent me and when I read it, I was shot awake.