there she goes // 3

With each practice gone, the garage began to fill up and the nerves in Darcey's stomach became harder to ignore. They ran the last couple of checks looking over the system, making sure everything was running smoothly before the last practice before qualifying. This was the time that the team can really get a feel for what program and what tire they want to be using.

They had spent so much time talking about qualifying that when the day arrived it didn't seem real. Darcey knew that this was just first race weekend jitters, as Brad had warned her about - sharing the time he had accidentally wore odd shoes to his first race.

"You know I'm not going to stop poking you, until you give me some type of reaction" Will grinned as he stepped in front of her.

"Sorry, I was just.." Darcey murmured not really making eye contact

"Nervous" It was more of a statement rather than a question.

"You've got this - just focus and try not to get ran over" He patted her on the back

The drivers had come in and went over to their race engineers, giving the pit crew time to practise once more before the session.

There was a lot of training that went into a pit stop, it simply wasn't a simple task of fitting a wheel anymore. Darcey took her place on the pit lane with her wheel-gunner in her had, in that moment she was focused. No nerves in site.

"That was 1.71 great work team" Ian announced "Now keep that up, we've got this"

As the team repeated this a couple more times, there was plenty more going on in the garage behind them. Sebastian had been listening to Rocky's analysis from winter practice and generally having a catch up on where they are now.

"How is the crew getting on then?" Rocky inquired walking over to Ian closely followed by Sebastian.

"You know how it is - nothings ever perfect, but I'm very impressed with the team, Darcey is getting up to speed with the rest now too" At that moment Darcey took her helmet off.

"Glad to hear it" Rocky said patting Ian on the back and walked away leaving Sebastian as he went to talk with Christian and Adrian.

Sebastian stood there for a second, so that's her name - Darcey.

In the weeks leading up to the race, Sebastian couldn't figure out why the girl he had met - or rather bumped into, kept popping into his mind. He guessed that it was because she didn't mention her name or what her role in the team was. And now he knew it he could move on.

It was now lunchtime and the team were enjoying a bit to eat in the cafeteria of the Red Bull motorhome. As much as she missed her mothers cooking - she couldn't complain.  She watched as the boys filled there faces with rice, chips, chicken nuggets and pizza with a smile on her face.

Darcey looked down at her plate of salad and potato before leaning over, edging her hand towards Brad's plate of chicken nuggets and chips.

"Oh no you don't - there's no we in chicken nuggets" He said swatting her hand away

"No but sweetie does, as in please be a sweetie and share" She grinned in return pulling the plate towards her

"Brad doesn't share food!" He warned pulling it back in his direction, but not before Darcey had grabbed one placing it in her mouth before running away towards the exit. She was so wrapped up in the game of it all that she didn't look who had just walked down the stairs in front of her.

When she looked around at who she had just cut across she almost choked - curse you chicken nugget

"You again" getting her attention before she tried to run away "I wondered when we'd bump into each other again" Sebastian joked, his eyes almost as big as his smile

"Very funny" Darcey replied still trying to clear her throat

"Careful I could still get you fired, you might be a good wheel-gunner but nobody is irreplaceable Darcey" He said the last part stepping closer and whispering into her ear before turning towards the exit

"Did your research then?"

"Maybe" He chimed before making a swift exit out the door leaving Darcey standing there dumbfounded by another brief encounter with the driver.

Qualifying was a range of emotions as they watched fastest lap after lap coming through, each one outdoing the one their drivers had just done. The flag came out at the end of the session with British driver Lewis Hamilton on pole, leaving Vettel p6 and Webber p5.

They were gonna have to work long and hard tonight to make sure they were ready for everything and fight their way back to the front. As they packed up for the day Christian Horner called everyone over into the middle of the garage.

"I know this wasn't the way we wanted to start the season, but we've overcome and worked our way back up from worse" He began "There's been a lot of hard work going on this weekend and leading up to this also, I just wanted to make sure you don't let this get you down. Tomorrow is a new day, now go back to the hotels and get some rest" 

With that the team said their goodbyes and got the early night needed for the day ahead.

The race was the longest and the shortest at the same time for Darcey as the team sat on the edge of their seats watching it all unfold in the garage. Vettel did a great job of working his way through the field earning the team their first podium of the season. As the drivers began their last lap she was dragged towards the podium where they could celebrate this with their driver.

Emotions were in great spirits as they packed the garage away to be shipped off to the next race in Malaysia, they hadn't won but it was a sign of what's to come.

The first meal of the season in Australia was apparently another tradition this team had, luckily this one didn't leave a bad taste in her mouth. Finding herself next to Brad and Will, she was taken back when Sebastian placed himself opposite the crew and not the big bosses like you would assume.

As the team fell into their normal huddle of conversations, Sebastian couldn't help but smile as he watched Darcey interact with the guys.

"So what's our plan for tonight" Brad asked

"We don't have a plan" Darcey used her fingers gesturing between the two of them "I have plans that don't include you"

"I thought we were a team" Brad retaliated

"We are - which is why I need a break. So I will still like you by the end of the season"

This caused Sebastian to snickered as Darcey raised an eyebrow at him, knowing that he was listening to their conversation.

"But on a serious note, drinks after this guys?" Will added as he tooked into his food.

A chorus of agreement followed from the group of lads but what wasn't expected was a reply from the man himself.

"I could join you for one" Sebastian stated to the table

The meal was over as quickly as it began with most of the older members calling it a night and saying their praises before leaving the table. Just as the group were about to book a taxi to head out, Sebastian had a phone call and stepped away from the table.

"Excuse me I've got to take this" He stammered

Moments later Sebastian returned to the table, still noticeably on the phone and encouraged them to go on without him. This left a sour taste in Darcey's mouth as she couldn't deny - at least not to herself that a small part of her wanted him there.

At the bar the boys had taken to playing a 'friendly' game of pool, leaving Kendall and Darcey on the outside discussing what one another had been up to during the weekend.

"I thought you said drivers don't mix with the team" Darcey muttered towards Brad as he sat down with his drink

"They don't, happens every time" Brad responded taking a sip of his pint "I can't say I wasn't surprised but he's always on the phone with Sophia - No actual time for the rest of us"

"She's a right pain in the arse, remember last time when she asked you to help her" Will added

"Oh god don't remind me" Brad uttered as he closed his eyes