back on track // 29

Then without a second thought, Sebastian grabbed Darcey's hand and lead her down the stairs of the hospitality unit. That bond never broke as they continued until they stood in front of Sebastian's Infiniti FX. Standing in the late afternoon sun, Sebastian searched for his keys and it was only then that Darcey realised how their hands were still interlocked. 

"Sorry" Darcey retracted her hand, but soon missed the warmth of his touch. And how natural it all felt, being around him and feeling his touch. 

"Are you getting in or not?" Sebastian smirked as he opened the passengers side door, amused by her staring at her hands. 

Darcey choose to ignore his smug grin and climbed into the car, surprised by how tidy and spacious it was. Not like the sports car she had expected from the racing car driver. 

"Hey, I've just realised I've never actually been in a car with you" Darcey pointed out as Sebastian climbed into the drivers seat. 

"Why don't you trust me?" Sebastian chuckled, amused by her sudden outburst. 

"Well I have seen you drive, so I'm not sure I do" Darcey teased the driver, playing him at his own game as she begins to look worried at the thought. 

"Oh come on, you can't do that to me" He pouted, before putting on his seatbelt "You're in safe hands I promise" Sebastian smiled, revving the engine to start and sticking his tongue out as he pulled away. 

"If you say so" Darcey muttered smiling to herself as she looked out the window. "Where is it that you're taking me anyway?" She asked as she glanced over at the formula one driver. 

"You'll see, if we make it there safely that is" Sebastian spoke, giving her a playful wink as he drove down the road.

They drove in silence for a while at first, just simply enjoying each other company. Darcey couldn't help herself as she stole a glance here and there, which didn't go unnoticed. Sebastian turned the radio on as he headed to his destination, humming to himself as the music played.

Soon enough they reached the perfect spot, where on a night like this it just seemed right. As Sebastian pulled into the drive, memories rushing back from many years ago. His old karting track which he hadn't visited for quite a while now, but had been meaning to. 

"Is this?" Darcey spoke softly, as Sebastian seemed to be lost in thought.

"Yep, this is where it all began" Sebastian sighed as he looked out over the track, before jumping out of the drivers side and meeting Darcey round the other side.

"Fancy a track walk?" Sebastian asked as he held out his hand for her to take. She looked down at his gesture and smiled warmly up at him. 

"You never cease to amaze me, Vettel" Darcey beamed across at him as they looked around before heading to the track behind the barriers. 

"That's the plan" He grinned, squeezing her hand a little tighter while they climbed over the tyres jumping over onto the tarmac. The evening sunset upon the deserted track, with only the old signs and barriers left behind. 

He had spent so much time here as a child, perfecting his race craft and winning some of his first races. Walking around the track Sebastian could still smell that familiar scent of gasoline and if he listened closely he could still hear the roar of the engines as he looked across the staring proportions. 

Darcey wasn't looking at the track, however, but instead she was looking at Sebastian as he seemed to beam with excitement. It had always been one of her favourite qualities in Seb, his passion for everything that he did in the sport and the cars. He truly loved it, just as her father did.