pick your side // 23

The race began on a damp track after an earlier downpour, with Vettel in pole position alongside of Massa of Ferrari, Alonso and Hamilton began from third and fourth. Webber moved from fifth to second by the second lap and took the lead after Vettel made his first for dry slick tyres on lap five.

He struggled for grip on a damp area, falling behind Pérez, Sutil and Grosjean on lap six until he drove onto a dry section and overtook Grosjean; Sutil blocked his attempt to pass at turn 13. On lap seven, Vettel overtook Pérez for seventh place.

By the end of lap 25, Vettel was less than a second behind teammate Webber and could use DRS to attempt a pass for the lead. The gap to Vettel and Webber was lowered to four-tenths of a second at the start of the next lap, as Hamilton gained on them. 

"Careful Sebastian, careful" Rocky expressed over the radio as Darcey watched on, wondering what had gotten into the german driver. He knew more than anyone the importance of reserving tyres and when not to challenge your teammate. 

"What is he doing?" Brad shouted, standing up as Sebastian's lap time increased. 

"Sebastian, multi 21, multi 21....and look after your tyres please" Rocky told Vettel by radio on that lap to conserve his tyres in high-speed corners, because he drew too close to Weber and was affected by the aerodynamic turbulence of airflow over his teammate's car.

"This is not going to end well, someone tell him to pack it in!" Ian blurted out

Webber also slowed to preserve his tyres so he could reach the third series of pit stops, and Vettel told the Red Bull team by radio to have his teammate relinquish the lead to him because he thought he was the faster driver. On the 29th lap, Webber went faster by three-tenths of a second and pulled away from Vettel.

"Come on Sebastian, you need to give him the space. Hold position" Christian spoke clearly down the radio. Still nothing but silence from the cockpit as Sebastian continued to charge down the straights. 

Webber put him towards the pit-lane barrier, with their wheels almost touching at about 180 mph. Webber used the outside to keep Vettel behind at turn two, placing himself away from the racing line, and Vettel accelerated faster out of turn three. Vettel turned left cresting a hill into turn four, overtaking Webber with better traction for the lead out of the corner. 

"This is silly, Seb. Come on."

At the start of lap 47, Webber tried to pass Vettel into turn one; Vettel placed Webber on the edge of the track to prevent his teammate from driving onto the outside at turn two. At the point they were ready to see both cars in the gravel, as the cars came extremely closer to colliding with Sebastian doing everything he could to take the lead from Mark. 

"Yep, that's great teamwork" Mark grunted over the team radio

"He was told, he was told" 

Darcey watched on in horror, how could he drive so recklessly and not care about who he hurt. The team, his teammate - himself. 

Vettel maintained the lead for the final nine laps for his first victory of the season, his third in Malaysia, and the 27th of his career.

"Good job Sebastian, good job. It looks like you wanted it bad enough, still there will be some explaining to do" Rocky informed Sebastian once he finished the finish line in first place, followed by his aggravated teammate, Mark. 

"Multi 21 Seb," Mark blurted out as he sat down, looking across at his teammate expressing his disapproval "Yeah, multi 21" the atmosphere in the cool down room was understandably tense.

Sebastian chose not to say a word, as he realised the cost of his actions and what that meant for him in the team. He thought about what Darcey might think, if she was disappointed in him, after he let his need to win get the better of him.