my champion // 39

The cosy bubble Darcey and Sebastian had created over the past week was soon to burst, as Darcey prepared for her first day back in the garage. Back in the paddock, back with the team where she once called her happy place. Now she wasn't so sure. 

"Everything's going to be okay, Liebling" Sebastian whispered, as Darcey stood in front of the hotel mirror getting changed into her uniform. He wrapped his arms around her waist as she let out an anxious sigh. 

"I know, I'm just being silly" Darcey murmured, relaxing into Sebastian's presence wishing they could stay just the two of them for a little longer. It wasn't so much the people she was afraid of seeing but rather herself, she was afraid of how she would react.

"I wouldn't say it was silly. What you went through was tough and it was real, okay?" Sebastian turned her around to look her in the eyes "That doesn't just go away overnight and I don't want you pretending that it has. Just know that you are safe as long as I'm with you" 

Ever since the incident reached the media, everyone was talking about the girl that Sebastian Vettel risked his life for. Any chances they had of keeping any sort of relationship private was long gone, as it didn't take long for them to track her down on social media. Luckily Sebastian had never been the selfie type and all they knew for sure was that she worked on his car. 

Heading into the locker rooms, the last place she felt remotely normal she took a deep breath while she pilled her bag into her locker. She hoped that she would be able to shut it off, like some sort of switch would turn her back into Darcey Collins, the mechanic who keeps her head down and gets the job done. But what if it became too much and Brad got what he wanted all along, for her to fail. 

On your average race weekend, Darcey's next stop would be the motorhome as she looked forward to demolishing a full English with a side of waffles. The hours were long and since you'd be expected to be on your feet until late this was a must for sure, but Darcey's appetite hadn't been what it was lately. 

So as her team sat, with her usual breakfast already plated up they grew concerned waiting for her arrival. Her arrival that never came, as they picked up their things and headed for the garage. Kendall cleared away her plate as she waved goodbye to Scotty and Will, noticing the absence of their once close friend. 

There they found Darcey, where she always found comfort and peace working on the engine of the RB9. Scotty scoffed slightly as he wondered why they expected anything less of the media's favourite mechanic. 

He greeted the young mechanic with a gentle squeeze, a hello, a I'm here or you're not alone anymore. She looked over her shoulder, breaking from the trance she had caught herself in and let slip a sigh of relief. She was home. 

"Darcey, do you have a second later? I'd like to go through some setup choices with you?" Rocky asked as he held a mountain of paperwork. A smile appeared on her face before she answered.

"Of course, I'd love to" She grinned, which Rocky returned.

"Great, see ya later kiddo" He nodded before walking away into the back of the garage while the rest of the team began to pack up for the lunch break. She hadn't even noticed the time, which was quite strange as normally she'd be counting down the minutes until her next supper. Darcey's tummy rumbled as the absence of her usual breakfast became evident. 

Walking through the canteen, chicken nuggets and chips served and ready to be consumed all she needed now was somewhere to sit. That was when she recognised the familiar voices coming from a table at the end of the room by the window. 

Darcey could tell they were trying to go on as normal, like nothing had changed and there wasn't a missing person at the table right now. And honestly Darcey herself didn't know how she wanted to handle this situation either, it must've been weird for them too - he was just as much their friend as hers. Then all of a sudden, the whole table stopped and looked at her as she noticed she hadn't been listening at all.