media attention // 14

"Don't give me that look" Darcey warned as her Mum walked into the families garage, displaying a rather disgruntled expression on her face as she appeared around the corner. Upon returning home for the summer break, Darcey disappeared into the garage and hadn't really left since.

"What look?" Claire placed the flask of freshly brewed tea on the side, before looking around the garage. Claire's face appeared to soften as she thought of the memories surrounding it.

Twenty-five years ago Andrew, Claire's late husband and Darcey's father, had bought the place on a whim. It was quite the tip when they first started out but he had spent many hours making it into what it is today.

"I just can't believe you're off work and still fixing cars -  definitely your father's daughter." Claire smiled looking over at the framed photo hanging over Andrew's old workbench, in it was the grand opening of Collins and Co. Car Shop and in her father's arms - was a baby Darcey.

"Second nature I guess, I won't be long I promise"

"Everything okay with work? You enjoying it?" Her mother's questions caused Darcey to stop what she was doing, as if all the thoughts and feelings she had tried to buried deep inside had all just came rushing to the surface.

"Yeah, everything's fine - how can I complain about getting to travel the world" Darcey exclaimed forcing a smile in order to reassure her mum.

"No, I suppose you can't" Claire nodded understandably, Darcey wasn't lying she did love her job and getting to see the world was a massive bonus, but she couldn't help but feel guilty - leaving it all behind.

It was meant to be the family business, but her new job at Red Bull meant that she was either travelling or in the factory for a big part of the year. The garage was left in capable hands, however, as Liam worked alongside the father and daughter and stepped up once Andrew became ill.

"And the handsome drivers help right?" Claire grinned, earning a groan from Darcey as she got up to walk away from the conversation.

"You can go now, I've got work to do" Darcey demanded, with a hint of playfulness in her tone but Claire listened to her daughter and left her to it.

The first two weeks at home flew by as Darcey struggled with the concept of downtime. Liam had to practically trick her into spending a weekend away in Cornwall, deciding that she had already spent far too much time in the garage.

It's may not be most exotic or glamorous summer break destination, especially compared to others on the grid. But her friend Emily lived out there and offered a place to stay, so who was she to say no.

Darcey poured a glass of wine for herself and Emily as they discussed the recent events Darcey had missed while she was away.

"I'm so glad you could come" Emily grinned as she raised her glass towards Darceys with a clink.

"I'm glad you have wine" Darcey added

"Cheers to that!" the girls laughed before they both took a sip of their wine, then turning their attention to Alex, Emily's husband as he picked up the bottle from in front of them.

"But is it to your standards now that you party with the best?" Alex teased as he examined the wine bottle in his hands. 

"How the other half live" Emily sighed, Darcey had found that most her friends would forget she was travelling to all these places for work.

"It's not as glamorous as you'd think, trust me" Darcey muttered, remembering how they would continuously tag her on Facebook for 'things to do when in Spain'. like she had the time for that.