baby scan // 25

"Sophia" Sebastian called as he stepped through the door of their home in Switzerland, this time however she was aware of his arrival and appeared from the kitchen. She skipped over to greet him at the door, jumping into his arms from force of habit.

"It's so good to see you, thanks for coming" Sophia cheered, ignoring the tenseness in Sebastian embrace. She stepped back showing off her stomach in a pair of fitted leggings and crop top. Just like everything Sophia did, her bump was small, petite and perfect in every way.

"How could I not? I already feel like I'm missing out on so much" Sebastian mouthed, as he took that moment to glance around the place. He walked into the kitchen where he noticed the new additions to the room, a pushchair and baby car seat.

"It was on sale" Sophia explained, "So I thought why not get it now? It's cute right?"

"Yeah it's nice - I just thought we could do stuff like that together, we're meant to be doing this together you know? Like parents"

"I'm sorry, I didn't think" Sophia spoke awkwardly, Sebastian sighed and shook his head.

"It's fine, I'm just in a weird place right now and I just want to get this right" Sebastian uttered, as Sophia placed a gentle hand on his shoulder to comfort him.

"You'll be great, I'm sure of it and this baby is so lucky to have you as a father" Sebastian turned to look up at her, for a brief moment he saw a flash of the old Sophie, not Sophia but the girl he fell in love with all those years ago.

It had been four months since Sebastian found out he would be a father, since Sophia came back into his life and up until now she had done most of it alone. Not intentionally but due to the nature of Sebastian's career he was away a lot, then when he was around he would find out it had already been done from the help of friends or family. This was the first thing they did alone, just the two of them, as future parents.

They walked into a dimly lit room for the scan, where the main source of light would be the monitor on the wall. Once the couple had introduced themselves to their sonographer, she then asked Sophia to position herself on the bed so the scan could begin.

After a couple of minutes had passed and the sonographer used the handheld probe over Sophia's skin to examine the baby's body. Sebastian looked up at the black and white image in awe, there was a silence in the room as the sonographer took all the measurements.

"Isn't it amazing?" Sophia whispered, glancing over at Sebastian who kept his focus on the screen above.

"Yeah"

"Can we find out the gender today?" Sophia suddenly asked the sonographer, which soon got Sebastian attention as he snapped his head back to the two women as he waited for the answer.

"She's a very healthy baby girl, as far as I can see everything is normal and I'm happy with the development and growth." The women announced, Sophia held Sebastian's hand and for the first time in while he didn't retract it.

"Weight is 7oz which is perfect for 18 weeks" And just like that Sebastian moved away, he took a moment to process everything as Sophia continued to discuss everything with the sonographer.

"18 weeks?" Sebastian expressed, still confused by her statement and hoping that maybe it was just a slip-up.

"Yes, 18 weeks works out as roughly five months and her due date is 6th July"

It was a long drive back to their house in Walchwill, making for one of the very few moments Sebastian wished they didn't live so far away from everything. Sophia had spent most the car journey looking at designer girl outfits they could get for their little girl.