speak soon // 31

"Look after yourself, do as you're told. Remember to drink. Oh and take your painkillers" Darcey ordered down the phone while she walked through the busy airport. Now if you didn't know Nate you'd think this was overbearing and excessive. But considering the time Darcey left him for a week and then returned to find mouldy plates and a flooded bathroom. It's necessary. 

"Since when did you become my mother?" Nate exclaimed, teasing her because he knew it rubbed her the wrong way and he just loved how easy she was to wind up. 

"Just behave alright?" Darcey sighed

"..Well now that you've said that, I'm going to try as hard as I can not to." Nate laughed on the other side, she could almost feel his smirk. 

Half of her was thankful he was still able to joke and laugh right now, as she could remember that being one of the first things her father lost. He was so tired and grumpy all the time, the only time he actually seemed to smile was when he saw Jenson on that top step. 

"How old are you again? Six?" 

"No, seven and a half actually"

"God you're annoying"

"Am I? It's not like you say it like 20 times every day"

"Well maybe there's a reason for that" Darcey pointed out, "Just promise me you'll be good and stop flirting with that nurse." 

"Why, jealous?" Nate chuckled "Can't say I blame her though"

"And on that note I've got to board my flight" Darcey spoke as she made her way over to the gate, now catching up with the rest of the team. "I'll call when I can"

"Don't worry about me, go and have fun. Oh and tell Seb he owes me £20"

"He what?" Darcey uttered before the call ended, she shook her head while she chuckled to herself. Sebastian had also become a recurring visitor in the hospital and strangely enough, it felt as if Darcey was third-wheeling at times. 

"Hurry up, you don't want to miss your flight as well now do we?" Brad pushed past Darcey, his comment seemed like a joke but Darcey knew better. She had missed the groups get together for Brad's birthday while she was staying with Nate in the hospital. Of course, Brad didn't know that, but she was surprised to hear the harshness in his tone. 

"I'm coming" She muttered, feeling the guilt all over again.

A normal Friday practice session was exactly what Darcey needed, the chance to switch off and focus on the task at hand. The last part wasn't going quite to plan, however, as her eyes always seemed to gravitate towards their driver at the back of the garage. But she wasn't the only one struggling to focus. 

"Why are you staring at me?" Darcey whispered as she stepped closer to him, taking in his musky scent as he cooled down after a hot lap. She looked at him with the corner of her eyes trying not to make it too obvious.

"What, no...I was not." Sebastian blurted out, a bit too loud for Darcey's liking, as she wasn't ready for the rest of the team to know. She didn't even fully know herself what this meant for the two of them.

"I saw you!" Darcey teased him, he knew what she was trying to do. But Seb wasn't having any of it.

"So you're the one who was staring at me!"  His voice caused Darcey to feel weak at the knees, she almost forgot where they were for a second until she heard his giggling to himself as he got up from his chair. Sebastian had already casually strolled over to the strategy wall before Darcey was able to put two words together.