christmas with the vettel's // 44

"We made it!" Sebastian called as he opened the door to his childhood home, finally.

After their first flight was cancelled due to the bad weather and then the long three-hour car journey left the pair feeling anything but jolly and bright. It had been a long couple of weeks and Darcey had been looking forward to this trip, getting away from it all and taking a relaxing break. But this trip had started off being anything but relaxing.

This was the first time seeing Sebastian's family since becoming a couple, and this was definitely not the way she wanted it to start. But all her doubts and worries melted away as Heiki practically ran across the room, barely giving them the chance to place their bags down at all.

"I'm so happy you're here," Heiki smiled, "I was beginning to get worried"

"Me too, I was afraid we'd never get here" Darcey sighed, as there were moments where they thought they might have to stay somewhere overnight while the storm passes. 

"All that matters is that you're here now" Nobert insisted as he walked over to greet the couple, taking their coats and bags from them while Heiki brought Darcey into her warm embrace.

"Thank you for having me," she said graciously. "I'm so sorry we're late."

"Oh, stop it. It's a Christmas miracle you made it at all with the snow," Heiki continued to brush away Darcey's apologies, then brought her son in for a much-needed squeeze. 

"Merry Christmas Mama" Sebastian kissed his mother on the cheek, before standing back and picking up on the familiar scent of his mother's homemade casserole. "Is that what I think it is?" 

"Can never get anything passed you can we?" His mother laughed, "Now why don't you to get settled in while I set the table" Now ushering them up the stairs along with their bags. 

Sebastian showed Darcey to their room for the week, which was his old bedroom, turned guest bedroom. It had been a while since Sebastian had stayed the night here, one of the few benefits of living nearby to your parents. He just hoped that his parents didn't scare Darcey off too quickly.

After a quick wash and change, Sebastian and Darcey made their way downstairs where they found Fabian, Nobert and Heiki dishing up ready to eat. 

"The food looks delicious," Darcey expressed, appearing into the kitchen. "Would you like any help?" 

"Nonsense, please sit! We'll be right out" Heiki gestured for her to go and sit down at the dining table, which was decorated with candles and garland. 

After a while Fabian, the other Vettel brother appeared from the kitchen and walked passed the pair, giving his brother a playful nudge. Darcey had only met Fabian once before, but she could already see a lot of Seb in his younger brother and adored the sibling's bond they shared.

Then for a split second Darcey thought about what it would've been like to grow up with an older brother, but then she quickly shook the feeling off as Heiki and Nobert both joined the rest of them at the table. 

As they sat down to enjoy Heiki's home cooking, there was a brief moment of silence while the two brothers demolished their first plate and were now onto seconds. The two ladies couldn't help but laugh at the hungry driver and his brother, who looked as if he was in competition with his older one to eat the most before it was gone. 

It wasn't long before they called it a night, Sebastian knowing exactly what they had in store for them tomorrow. The long tiring days had it's advantages as Darcey fell asleep almost instantly, but it wasn't to last for long. This time of year always brought its fair share of longing, the memories of what once was and the people missing from the special day.