memories i have // 18

Since winning the last three races, Sebastian had earned his lead in the championship, as did Red Bull Racing for the constructor's title. They knew going into Abu Dhabi that they would be taking grid penalties and to get back on top they'd have to be on top form.

Going into this weekend Darcey knew it would a difficult one but she also knew it was important for the team to keep focused right now. 

The team had spent so much time together at this point it was hard not to notice the change in Darcey's behaviour. They were getting the car ready for the race on Sunday, running the checks and looking at the data from the weekend so far.

"And so it begins" Brad expressed as they looked out into the pitlane as the media circus began.

"Can't believe we are here already, this race always seems like the end of the season to me" Scotty explained, unintentionally triggering Darcey as she looked back on the last race she watched with her father.

Darcey had kept to herself for most of the weekend and had noticeably been on her phone more often than before. They left her to it so far as they figured maybe she was feeling homesick.

In that moment they figured it must be more than that, but no matter how many times they asked Darcey, she wouldn't talk and nobody could get through to her. Not even Sebastian.

"Hey" Sebastian whispered not wanting to scare her off as he approached her in the motorhome, he had been waiting for her to be alone as he knew he had more chance of her opening up this way.

"Hey" Darcey smiled, Seb was able to breath easy again after seeing her smile.

"How are you feeling?" Sebastian asked concern evident on his face.

"I wish everyone would stop asking me that"

"It's because we care" Sebastian expressed, although it probably came out a lot harsher than he intended it to "The guys are worried about you. I'm worried about you" Sebastian spoke softly as he took a step closer, gently lifting her chin at an attempt to get her to look at him

"I'm fine. OK"

"Don't give me that! Talk to me - please" Sebastian's little outburst was interrupted by the entrance of Christian and Helmut, he turned back to talk to Darcey but she had already slipped away.

Red Bull elected to start Vettel in the pit lane after changing his gear ratios along with his suspension as well as the creation of a low-drag aerodynamic setup. During the race Sebastian was able to show off his overtaking skills, powering through the grid. This, however, did come at a cost as he made contact and had to come in for an unexpected pit stop.

After a difficult 42 laps on the soft tyre, Vettel made the decision to pit and this is when the pit crew set a new fastest pit stop. A reason to celebrate tonight as Sebastian was able to make a leap from pit lane to podium finish at P3.

The team raced over to the podium to watch Sebastian accept his trophy for third place, but as Seb stood up there, he couldn't help but notice that someone was missing. Darcey had stayed back when everyone rushed off at the end of the race. This was the one race she didn't want to be over as that meant it had been another year. Another year since her father passed away.

They returned to the garage ready to pack up and get out as soon as they could in order to let the celebrations begin.

But instead of celebrating with the team, Darcey returned to her room that night. She was about to get ready for bed and call it a night when she heard a knock at the door.

"Seb, what are you doing here?" Darcey stumbled over her words.

"You were there when I needed cheering up, now it's my turn to cheer you up" Sebastian explained as he revealed a box of chocolates and packet of crisps in his hands.