miracles happen // 19

It was midnight and Sebastian was woken up by the sound of a car and headlights on his driveway. He had attempted to stay up and wait for Sophia to arrive home, but it seems his previous late night had caught up with him. 

Sebastian walked down the stairs and was met with the eyes of his girlfriend of almost 10 years, dressed in an outfit that was not fit for work. It was clear to him that she had just come back from a night out with whoever or whatever was paying the bill. He was about to go back to bed after realising that this was not the time or place to talk, but Sophia wasn't aware of Sebastian plans and had some of her own.

"Sebbie, you're home!" Sophia raced up to him, wrapping her arms around his neck "Wait, you didn't tell me you were coming back? I would've been here for you" She exclaimed, suddenly realising he hadn't given her any warning, Sebastian stepped back as Sophia expression changed to a puzzled one as she was beginning to realise something was off.

"It was kind of a last-minute decision, but I can't stay long...just had to sort some things out" Sebastian explained, for a minute all you could hear was the faint sound of the rain pouring outside as the pair stared at each other. 

"Can we talk later? I really missed you" Sophia moaned suggesting only one thing, Sebastian stiffened at the thought and not in a good way. 

"I didn't come here to..." Sebastian stumbled over his words, he placed his hands over his boxer shorts and stared blankly at the wooden floors of their home. 

"Then what?" Sophia questioned, the rain was loud by this point and you could hear it pounding violently at the windows, threatening to break at any given moment.

"It wasn't meant to be like this"

"You came here to break up with me?" Sophia pieced together, Sebastian shot his head up at her conclusion. It wasn't exactly how he had planned to do it, him standing there in his boxer shorts, her smelling of alcohol and the darkness around them. 

"Something like that?" He sighed, pulling at his hair as she looked around the room refusing to make eye contact with him. 

"I'm not having this conversation again Seb" Sophia threatened, as she shed a tear but angrily wiped it away as she refused to accept that their relationship could be over.  

"I don't want to have it either" Sebastian stepped closer to her, trying to calm her down.

"Then don't, come to bed and we can talk about it in the morning" Sophia pleaded, holding his hands in hers and pulling him close. Sebastian would've gotten caught up in the moment if it wasn't for the memory of holding Darcey in the exact same way. 

"This is for the best. I know that. So do you." Sebastian whimpered as he stepped back, Sophia stood frozen in place until Sebastian went to walk out of the room. 

"So that's it, it's over?" She called out, the confusion turning to anger 

 "It really was a while ago. We both know that." He turned around as he pulled on a pair of jeans and a jumper, preparing to leave for the night.

"I still love you." Sophia cried out, tears beginning to trickle down her face, ruining her perfect makeup but she didn't care at this point.

"And I still love you. I always will. But I need you to let me go, for both of our sakes." Sebastian teared up as he walked away, closing the door on his first love and all he knew. 

The days that followed were a blessing in disguise as Sebastian was able to live out of his apartment in Milton Keynes and spend his time working in the factory. This served as a good distraction, winning the constructor's and championship title was the only thing on his mind and that's the way he wanted it.