old habits // 10

Who would've thought the weekend that Darcey had been dreading for so long would turn out to be one she never wanted to end. She couldn't stop smiling to herself as she worked in the garage that Sunday, luckily she didn't have to either as the team got a double podium.

Webber had earned his place on the top of the podium, Seb had worked his way up to third place so the garage was ready to celebrate for two reasons that evening. Christian had invited Claire up to the motorhome after the race, the thought of her Mum being left alone with her boss and colleagues causing some weird sort of secondhand embracement on Darcey's behalf.

Once the team carried out their normal pack down jobs, they began their walk over to the motorhome to get ready to leave the circuit. Darcey wasn't paying much attention to the crowds around her, this was prime interview time and she preferred to act like they weren't there. Brad had already pointed her out in a couple of clips posted online, almost becoming some sort of game for the garage.

"Your mum loved me!" Brad announced as they began to discuss who they would invite out tonight for Darcey's birthday celebration. As much as she loved her mum, there was no way in hell she would allow that to happen.

"My mum loves everyone, don't flatter yourself." Darcey protested, turning to face Brad, Will and Scotty now walking backwards through the crowd. Not her best idea as she ended up walking straight into one f her birthday surprises and not the cutout version.

Mortified Darcey turned slowly to see who she had just backed into "God I'm so sorry, I wasn't looking" Darcey apologised to the McLaren driver, to the side of her Brad and the others who were struggling to hold in their laughter.

"Don't worry about it, how was your birthday by the way?" Jenson asked remembering the odd request he had the day before by the Red Bull driver.

"It was great thanks, I can't believe they roped you into doing that" Darcey joked now noticing that she had been left alone, she made a mental reminder to kick their butts the next time she saw them.

"It's no problem, when Seb told me there'd be cake - I was there" He chuckled before he caught the sight of Sebastian walking towards the pair. "Speak of the devil" The two drivers greeted each other with a quick handshake and pat on the back, leaving Darcey standing there awkwardly.

"Congratulations on the podium buddy" Jenson grinned at Sebastian as they parted

"Cheers, it's been a great weekend for the team" Sebastian stated stepping next to Darcey, stealing a quick glance in the process.

"Two reasons to celebrate now I'm guessing" Jenson assumed turning his attention to Darcey, looking for an answer on the statement.

"Something like that, I didn't get much say in the matter" Darcey began to stutter out searching for the right answer "You're welcome to join us - I mean if you want to, if you can" She blurted out instantly regretting it - there was no way he'd be interested in hanging out with her.

"Sounds good to me, Seb can text me the details right?" Jenson looked over at Sebastian, who simply nodded in response "Now I better get back to the motorhome, see you both later" Jenson added before running off down the paddock.

The pair stood there as they watched him disappear into the distance, before settling into a comfortable silence - neither wanting to walk away but not knowing what to say next. It was the first time they had been alone together since Sebastian had asked her to join him for coffee. Darcey couldn't even begin to put into words how grateful she was for the events that followed.

"So, If you text me the details for tonight - I'll see you there?" Sebastian asked looking into Darcey's eyes for recognition

Darcey responded with a nod before Sebastian smiles and turned to walk away