nightmare // 41

It was in the middle of the night, and not for the first time Seb had been awoken by the distressed cries of Darcey who asleep beside him. It started off with the occasional jump or scream but recently it had become a cry for help, like she was trapped again but in this nightmare no one came. Sebastian tried his best to wake her up from the nightmare but the screams only got louder as she felt the touch of his hands and lashed out.

"Get away from me, leave me alone" Darcey cried, shaking on her side of the bed.

"Darcey, it's okay. It's me Sebastian" He tried to soothe her, but she hadn't come to yet.

"Let me go, let me out of here" She screamed, this time her eyes shot open by the sound of her own voice and now finding herself sad and confused. Her breath shaking as she looked around at her surroundings, trying to piece it all together in her mind.

"You're not there, Darcey. You're home, you're safe." Sebastian hugged Darcey as tears began to fall from her eyes. Her body trembling from the nightmare but still she allowed him to hold her. "It's okay, it was just a dream."

Sebastian hated seeing what that man had done to Darcey, the trauma he had caused for his own selfish reasons. Every night he had to calm her down, every night he had to promise her that she was safe now was another night he wished for Brad to get what he deserved.

It was 3 pm in the morning when Darcey finally settled back into a peaceful sleep, Sebastian lay silently hoping they get the sleep they need. In 4 hours time they would have to get up for a flight to Abu Dabi for the next race of the season.

"It's time to get up," Sebastian spoke softly, whispering into Darcey's ear as he leant over her delicate body. It killed him to wake her up, but they didn't have long until they were expected to be at the airport.

"I am up" Darcey groaned as she turned over, displaying anything but the will to get up.

"I can tell" Sebastian chuckled to himself before climbing out of bed heading towards the bathroom. Sebastian brushed his teeth in the bathroom mirror, as he counted the early mornings that remained. It wasn't the end of the season he was looking forward to, but the quiet, the stillness of not having to travel every other weekend.

All he wanted was to stay in bed all day, to spend time with Darcey and to get back the time they wasted this season. Between the fights, ex-boyfriends and crazy brothers they hadn't had much time to just talk. To just breath.

"I'm up" Darcey appeared at the doorway, Sebastian smiled at the sound of her sleepy voice, turning around to pull her close as she yawned into his embrace.

"Morning Süsser" Sebastian kissed her gently on the lips, running his thumb across her flushed cheeks "How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay...I'm just a little tired." She yawned again.

"I could ask Britta for a later flight, if you're not feeling up to it?" He suggested, which caused Darcey to step back. She clearly didn't like the idea.

"No, no...you're already busy enough as it is," Darcey expressed, knowing how many interviews and appearances the four-time world champion had lined up. "I've been through much worse and lived" She joked at the end, which made Sebastian frown.

"What?" Darcey laughed as Sebastian's face fell.

"Nothing, but we better get a move on if we want to make the flight" Sebastian sighed, he knew better than to challenge her especially after less than four hours sleep. "At least we can sleep on the plane"

The night race of Abu Dabi was one of Darcey's biggest fears last year, the date she couldn't forget but this year it snuck up on her. It wasn't until Sebastian presented his helmet to her that the emotions came rushing back, the realisation of it all hitting her like a tone of bricks. It was beautiful, the helmet he designed in tribute to her Father and his charity, cancer research.