birthday surprise // 9

When Darcey started at the Red Bull - or even started following racing again this was the race she didn't want to happen. Silverstone held so many memories and until now it was the type of place she could avoid going to. 

She didn't have to look out to the grandstands, she didn't have to visit the stores that never seemed to change and she didn't have to face the fact that her Dad wouldn't be there with her.

The fact that she didn't have to pack an away bag seemed strange, no hotel bookings and no long car rides listening to Brad's awful singing and Ian's snoring beside her. Darcey couldn't believe how fast this season was flying by and how quickly this group of misfits had become a family to her. 

"What the hell is this?" Darcey exclaimed as she went to change for the day ahead, in the changing room stood a lifesize cut out of Jenson Button. It didn't take a genius to work out who was behind this one. 

"Surprise!" The guys shouted from behind her, Darcey slowly turned around to face the group of idiots decked out in party hats and streamers. 

"Happy Birthday, or birthday weekend. We couldn't wait" Brad added. Darcey had tried to keep her birthday a secret, but a small part of her was glad that in some way. She still got her birthday surprise, even if he was made of cardboard. 

"You're lucky he's cute" She smirked as she proceeded to blow out the candle on top of the cupcake placed dangerously next to Jenson. 

Darcey was walking down the pitlane glancing over the fence separating the garages from the track. She smiled to herself as she remembered standing on her Dad's shoulders for hours trying to get a glimpse of the action. She fought back tears as she took a deep breath walking into the garage ready for the first practice of the weekend. 

The day hadn't worked out in the Red Bulls favours, with the likes of Lewis and Fernando looking very strong in both sessions. Darcey sulked home that evening glad to be going back to her own bed and not the basic hotel room she had come to know. 

She had to admit she missed sharing a room with Kendall, they would spend most of their Friday nights watching tv, ordering room service and discussing gossip from the motorhome - courtesy of Kendall of course. 

The team had planned to meet early the next morning to run around the circuit, surprisingly it takes longer than those race cars make it look. On their way around they discuss the birthday celebration plans, which Darcey had say in the matter. 

"Do I get any say in this?" Darcey called out trying to get out in front of the group, stopping them in their tracks

"What like it's your birthday or something?" Brad grinned "That was my sarcastic voice by the way" He finished quickly moving past Darcey 

"Sounded a lot like your normal voice to me" She chimed in catching up with him 

"So you in?" 

"As long as it's not Saturday night, I guess I could make an appearance" Darcey mentioned as she slowed down to catch her breath 

"You got other plans? Without us?" Scotty proclaimed with fake hurt bringing his hand to his chest for dramatic effect

"Get over yourself Scotty" Darcey laughed, pushing past him to continue on their run. 

They made it to the end of the track, which at times seemed was never going to happen. Darcey headed up to the changing room, while the guys headed to the motorhome to grab a bit to eat before the practise session began. 

Once Darcey had freshened up, she went to pull her uniform from her backpack but instead knocking it onto the floor. There fell her silver McLaren hat, bending down to pick it up she found herself fighting back tears for the second time that weekend. Suddenly remembering where she was and that practise was due to start in less than 30 minutes, she pulled herself back together, throwing her cap back into her bag and got changed.